Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Had No Time Old Clocks to See

Options
  • 06-10-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I Had No Time Old Clocks to See

I had no time old clocks to see
    In a hurry I could not stop
    Even though to do so I desired
    And enter the old clock shop
    And browse the shelves of dials and watches
    And stroll within its ticking stock
    For I love old watches and timepieces
    And their soft and strong ticks and tock.

But I had no time to see
    The inside of the old clock shop there
    For Prague had too much else to occupy me
    And to myself I did swear
    That if ever in Prague I have the time
    That old clock shop I will drop by
    And among the ticks and the tocks
    I shall browse and watch time fly

And hands shoot round faces fast and slow
    And others unwound don't tick at all
    I will be like a mechanic in a car factory
    Or like a dancer at a ball
    And I declare in a day to come
    Should I with time, and in Prague be
    I shall send a little time
    In that clock shop just passed there by me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dorcha

I liked your poem and your reading of it was excellent, but I would like to make a point about the formatting on the page. The text is centralised. I personally find it is more difficult to read a poem this way. I notice this appears to be the fashion with newer poets and yet it only happened with the advent of word processors, which makes centralising so easy. Centralising may make a pleasing design, but the point of a poem is that it should be read, and for me, anyway, this makes it a little more difficult.

Of course you are entitled to format it whichever way you like, but what has really disturbed me is reading classic poetry on the Internet which has also now been centralised, and not at all formatted as the original writer intended it. Have any of the older readers on this forum got any views on that?

Advertisement