Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chick Lit....anyone else not like it?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I often wonder if I am the only woman on earth who really really can't stand Chick Lit.

To me it's always the same story reashed in different ways; Gorgeous and sucessful woman with equally gorgeous and sucessful yet rubbish boyfriend meets even more gorgeous guy and falls in love. Throw in much shopping, gossiping, even more shopping, career crisis, unplanned baby etc.

I know it maybe escapism or easy reading to some but for me it just doesn't do it.

I prefer books I can really sink my teeth into....not that I'm a snob, it's just personal preference.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm a male and a snob. Take a wild guess about where I stand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I think there is a time for chick lit, I don't read it very often, but every now and again I get into a complete reading slump and only easy reads get me out of it. Chick lit is very broad too, there are some talented writers in the genre, but a lot of slush too. Marian Keyes springs to mind, she's sharp and very funny.

As far as I'm concerned, any reading is good reading, and as with every genre, chick lit suits certain people. There are lazy writers and publishers in the genre, but that's true of most, and I wouldn't write it off altogether. That said, if you don't enjoy it, time to pick up something else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

I hate the term!

There is definitely lots of poor, formulaic chick-lit but it seems that many novels by or about women get automatically saddled with the sparkly pink cover. I'm sure there are good books and writers amongst the dreck but who's going to wade through all that to find them? Not me- to be honest I read mostly male authors ([ETA] not by design but because they tend to dominate the general fiction section) and I think it's a pity (ETA)that I'm probably missing out on some great women writers because they're classified as chick-lit; a section of the bookshop that I tend to walk past.

It's a marketing term, really, more than a genre and it obviously sells books but it also alienates a lot of people (me included) with the fluffy, frivolous presentation.

I don't think all women can be regarded as authors of chick lit... I can't imagine, somehow, Harper Lee, George Eliot or Emily Bronte getting pigeon holed in such a manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

SVG wrote: »
    I hate the term!

There is definitely lots of poor, formulaic chick-lit but it seems that many novels by or about women get automatically saddled with the sparkly pink cover. I'm sure there are good books and writers amongst the dreck but who's going to wade through all that to find them? Not me- to be honest I read mostly male authors and I think it's a pity.

It's a marketing term, really, more than a genre and it obviously sells books but it also alienates a lot of people (me included) with the fluffy, frivolous presentation.

I never, ever select a book on the basis of the gender of the author & while Chick Lit is not to my reading taste it has it's admirers and IMO it's sheer pretentiousness to scoff at other readers choices.
    Anyway, Jane Austen would probably have been classed as the Chick Lit of her day & indeed she, along with many other female authors. did suffer the consequences of literary snobbery.

I never, ever select a book on the basis of the gender of the author & while Chick Lit is not to my reading taste it has it's admirers and IMO it's sheer pretentiousness to scoff at other readers choices.
    Anyway, Jane Austen would probably have been classed as the Chick Lit of her day & indeed she, along with many other female authors. did suffer the consequences of literary snobbery.
    I agree with you 100%!

It's not the gender of the authors, or even the genre (though I do really hate that term! chick-lit-argh!) but the marketing that is off-putting for me. I hate pink! I know I'm probably missing out on some good stuff but I do, despite my best intentions, judge a book by it's cover!

I just think it's a pity that a lot of women's writing is automatically classified, marketed and therefore dismissed as chick-lit, whereas male authors tend not to be as ghettoised and are put into the general fiction section which is where I tend to look for books. And that's how I've ended up reading too many stories about intellectual male writers suffering mid-life crises!:)

Denerick wrote: »
    I don't think all women can be regarded as authors of chick lit... I can't imagine, somehow, Harper Lee, George Eliot or Emily Bronte getting pigeon holed in such a manner.

Agreed!

I don't regard all women authors as chick-lit writers but nowadays many are automatically marketed as such meaning that many people, me included, are unlikely to read them. And I think that's a pity!

Sorry, my earlier post wasn't very clear.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Absolutely despise chick-lit, its not literary snobbery. I have a bit of an aversion to recommended literary authors and love a good page turner.

But the offensive back lash anti-feminism that gushes out in these dull, dull books by the likes of Marian Keyes and Cecilia Aherne, not to mention all of the author list of Poolbeg press, has me screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have to say I'm partial to a pink sparkly book once in a while, it's nice to read a bit of fluff in your jammies with a bar of chocolate sometimes!

The Devil wears Prada is one of my favourite books, along with stuff like 1984 and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

While I think it's annoying that most of them are just the same story with different names, I think it's good that the books appeal to people who may not like more serious literature. I know that PS I Love You got my Mam into books.

Reading anything is better than not reading at all.

(Although the film adaptations are always completely woeful and the "plain" main character is always some absolutely gorgeous movie star wearing glasses or something :mad: ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The personalities of some chick lit authors like Amanda Brunker would seriously put me off reading it. I'd agree with donegalfella about the cringe inducing standard of writing. I think Alison O'Riordan over at the Sindo has a chick lit book in her, I'd almost read it for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't read chick-lit because I never feel drawn by any of the titles/presentation/promises. I was persuaded to go to a chick-flick by a group of women colleagues and they agreed it was a great film and very funny, while I found it totally tedious. On the other hand I read fantasy which would not be everyone's choice, so its just a matter of personal preference I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Callan57 wrote: »

I just want to stress that I'm not in any way trying to be pretentious. Why is it that everytime some-one says they don't like Chick Lit people assume they're being snobby or pretentious?

I just don't like it because there's only so many times one can read the same basic story, even it is in a different setting or has different characters.

Nor do I class authors like Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte as Chick Lit because those stories imo go somewhat deeper than just the gorgeous-girl-with-rubbish-boyfriend thing.

I do like a bit of romance, what woman doesn't. But to me there's a difference between Chick Lit and Romance novels.

And I don't class every female author as Chick Lit either. I've read plenty of crime novels and historical ones by female authors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A friend likes chick lit kind of books. I borrowed one once to read while waiting for an appointment - she always has one in her handbag. It was alright as easy reading but I wouldn't borrow it or go off and buy one.
    The writing in that particular book wasn't cringey as such, but it was a little basic.
    You could still see the formula though - "I'm a disaster and my life isn't going anywhere and I don't like work and suddenly there's this amazing man who seems to like me and now everything is ok".
    Well I don't know about the everything ok part as I didn't get that far, but... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I haven't read any of them, except a couple of Maeve Binchy when I was a teenager and they were pretty much all the same kind of story. I didn't find them challenging. Not that every read has to make you think, so a lot of books I read can be pure escapism, but I like a book that is a bit more exciting.

I'm just not really interested in that kind of story. I've read the brief description on the back of a couple of Jodi Picault and Amanda Brunker books and I just don't find that kind of thing entertaining. I don't know if these would be classed in the same category by the way, but they do seem to market them that way with a picture of a woman on the front and a pastel colour cover.

I've read a Jane Austen or two as well but they actually don't hold my interest that much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I never read them. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I hate them.

If you've never read any how do you know? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

If you've never read any how do you know? ;)
    Mwaha. Well I suppose I've tried to somewhere along the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TashaMonster

I read ALL types of books, fantasy, thriller, african novels, etc, and I find that in terms of chick lit they all go a little something like this.

Sophie, a married woman with 3 kids and a great husband but things have been a bit difficult lately, her husbands having problems with work and on top of that she has to look after her sick mother.

Fiona is Sophie's friend, she thought Stephen was her soulmate, but it turns out he thought his secretary was his soulmate, so now she's back on the dating scene and trying to get her life back on track, if only she could get rid of her annoying neighbour Max life wouldn't be too bad.

Cara is Sophie's sister, she's always been a high flyer, succesful job, designer clothes and a swanky penthouse apartment, but she's never met her ideal man ....... until now !!!

I just find it really condescending that these authors recycle the same plot over and over with just slight variations. I've no problem with people writing about the issues modern women deal with but I think there needs to be a bit more effort into coming up with a fresh approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wasn't Bronte a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a rhododendron bush? Perhaps I'm confusing my famous women in literature. ;)

No one is suggesting there are no women authors who don't write chick lit. Well, almost no one. There's usually someone trolling.

I tend to think of chick lit as the female equivalent of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy and their ilk. There's a market for it, and there are people making a living off that market. I'm not in that target market. I'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This thread on rom-coms is interesting to compare and contrast with this thread. They're not the same thing; the conventions do differ, but they have more in common than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

mikhail wrote: »
    This thread on rom-coms is interesting to compare and contrast with this thread.

You could also put action movies in the same category, or the repetitive episodes of TV progammes like House. It's just entertainment, and while I don't like Chick Lit at all, I don't really judge because I myself am open to the odd Die Hard-like film! There's basically a huge difference between what different people want and expect of reading.

I've posted these before, but I dare say they bear reposting. Last Christmas my girlfriend bought me some books, and designed fake book covers which she blu-tacked on. They're quite funny, and I think you can enjoy them even if you like Chick Lit. :)

PS I Love You Too Bai

Holly is a twenty-something/thirty-something year old women searching for the perfect guy, apartment, job or shoe. Along the way she questions everything, from the way she was raised to the quality of her life, but all in a very neat and non-psychologically intrusive fashion. Her quest leads her to rediscover herself, inner-happiness and an especially gooey, tender kind of love with a rugged yet ultimately sensitive and emotionally available love interest. It all ends in an ecstatically happy flurry of rainbows, unicorns and sparkles as though engineered in that way in order to give hope to despondent housewives enduring their mundane lives but secretly rejecting the crushing tedium...or something like that.

"The novel of fate on love and life" - Glamour.
    "A romantic tale of longing and loss" - Daily Telegraph.
    "Cecilia who?" - Legitimate Literary Critic.
    "Bubbly, sparkling and completely opaque" - Authentic Wine Critic
    "Another $200,000 in the bank and a summer house in the Hamptons for me!" - Cecilia Ahern's Publisher.

A Place Called Here Hiroshima

"Magical!" - Journalist who couldn't get a job with a real paper.
    "A sensational debut novel that proves true love never dies" - Cosmopolitan.
    "I would not permit my cat to wipe its posterior with this trash" - Harold Bloom.
    "I would not wipe my posterior with this trash" - Harold Bloom's cat.
    "One cannot determine with any certainty whether or not the cat wiped its posterior with this book when placed in a steel chamber as the cat is, according to quantum law, in a superposition of states" - Schrodinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Callan57 wrote: »

No, she wouldn't have been. Walter Scott and Richard Whately, both leading writers, gave her high praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Emily Bronte is total chick lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I always wonder when this is raised. Walter Scott was a pinnacle of early 19th century literature and his work certainly wasn't considered to be an outlet for idlers and housewifes. Rob Roy remains one of my favourite books, it has an endearing quality, tricky highland dialect (That you spend hours trying to understand) as well as the clichéd but extremely well done son-trying-to-live-up-to-the-disappointed-father thing...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mikhail wrote: »
    I tend to think of chick lit as the female equivalent of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy and their ilk...
    Do not speak ill of Clive Cussler! (My guilty pleasure :))

As least Cussler knows his marine/aviation science and terminology and you tend to learn a few things when not hearing about Dirk Pitt's opaline eyes...

As for chick lit - my missis reads it and whatever floats your boat I say. I read one once in an afternoon by the pool (was written by the sister of a friend of ours) and although it was formulaic and trite I survived the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Depends on what you term 'chick-lit.' Truthfully, I have tried a few over the years and found all of them really dull and formulaic so I never finished them. But I also hate anything that centers on romance which most of these books tend to do. I don't mind a little love story on the side but I need something else going on in the plot. Then again, I HATE Sex and the City with a passion and most 'chick-lit' is along the same lines. So I guess chick-lit is trite girl meets boy stuff? I suppose that's how I'd term it and if that's the case, then definitely not my cup of tea.
    SVG wrote: »

Good point.
    Emily Bronte is total chick lit.

I'm actually in pain reading that! I adore Wuthering Heights, one of my all time favourite reads. Emily Bronte on the same level as Amanda Brunker or Nicolas Sparks? I feel ill!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I don't like chick lit, would never buy one of those books but if I've been really stuck for something to read I've been known to pick one up (My mother loves these types of books so there are always plenty lying around)

The only one I really liked was 'Rachel's Holiday' by Marian Keyes, I read it years ago but I thought it was a great book, really funny and well written. I've picked up a couple more Marian Keyes books but never enjoyed them as much as 'Rachel's Holiday'.

I read the first couple of chapters of Cecelia Ahern's 'PS I Love you', I abandoned it, hated it. Watched the film at a friends house and I hated that as well, 2 hours of my life that I can't get back :(
    Needless to say I wouldn't be bothered reading any of her other books.

Chick Lit is a big market, to each their own, better to read something than nothing at all, give me a good murder mystery any day though!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I am not a big fan of "chick lit", as a book hungry teenager who would read literally anything I did nvade my mother's book collection, and it would not be my cup of tea either, for the trite formulaic stories, and I often found myself wondering how some of them ever got published, the quality of the writing was that poor. But like others have said, it's a shame it's all lumped together, as there are actually a few absolute gems out there...Bridget Jones anyone? :o

Advertisement