Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out overnight - what to do with cat?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

We're off to a wedding soon, just overnight (gone from the morning, back later the next day, say 36 hours max). Presumably there's three options - let the cat on his own (with an automated feeder), put him in a kennel, or get a sitter to visit. Any thoughts on what people usually do for an over-nighter away? I'm a bit wary of the sitter idea, since it gives someone who I don't know access to the house and alarm system. Being sent to a kennel might freak him out.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are you friendly with any of your neighbours? Or do you have family nearby?
    Is it an indoor only cat? Do you have a catflap?
    Honestly if you are stuck for someone to call in and its an indoor cat, that uses the litter tray, and you think a cattery would freak him out, then your only option is to leave him alone. Maybe leave an extra litter tray, make sure there's more than one water supply(just encase it gets dirty or spilled) and the feeder. I have left my cats in from one afternoon to the next day for a wedding before, they were fine but very happy to see us when we got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id have no problem leaving my cat for that length of time. I stock up his dry food, leave plenty of water and make sure his litter tray is fine. Any longer than that id be asking someone to call in to make sure hes ok. If hes an indoor cat he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

If you don't have any family nearby to drop in, I'd say leave him by himself with plenty of water food and toys to keep him occupied. I use one of then feliway plug in diffusers in the room the cat is going to spend most time in as it seems to give them some comfort. Just expect a very sulky cat when you get home if he is anything like mine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

My aunt and uncle live nearby, but they're elderly and don't really want to be bothering them. Especially as, god forbid, he ran out while they were in there. :) I think overnight would be fine; I think it's my wife who's worrying a bit more. The Dalkey Cat Hotel is on the Dart line (handy for us) and very reasonable, so that's an option.

P.

Advertisement