Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools Native HD Released.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

complete and utter lack of understanding for what the target user base is after.

native "core" card w/ hd software + avid i/o when totaled up will cost nearly 7000 euro NEW :eek:. and there's still a track limit!!!!!

get an old 192 i/o and the price might drop to 4500 but still :eek::eek:

YES its cheaper than a hd/tdm system but still a mile above where a native system should be..

and its not friggin native by the way :D:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

If it wasn't for their embedded market share, they'd be sunk by now.
    Logic 9 and whatever interface/convertors you want > bring locked into proprietary hardware just for access to the DAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

NatiVe HD I am very confused?

you're not the only one dav.

basically its a hd system with no dsp processing (ie no tdm plugins) at half the price.

rtas and dsp engine are now native but you get a nice expensive interface connector to run it all and connect your i/o

:confused:... bizarre....

i just dont get avid at all.

today im mixing a certain girl band we both know dav, and after constant spluttering thru the edits in protools le, i now have a 96 track mix running in reaper with nearly 200 plugins at nearly 5% of the cost of hd native but with basically the same feature set... and it hasnt hiccup'd even once!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

dav nagle wrote: »
    NatiVe HD I am very confused?

Indeed, to my mind it looks more like PT HD Non-TDM. Calling it Native is pushing it a little I think as the software will not run natively unless you have the required PCI card. In addition, it seems that the card itself wont work with 3rd party i/o boxes (apogee, RME, Lavery etc) making it less appealing.

I don't know I think they have maybe slightly misjudged this one. It is a great idea to create a mid-level point in the line, however, given that you can get HD2 card system for as little as 2000eur second hand (I think Declan is even selling one at the moment) it seems hard to justify the 7k needed to get this system up and running.

I suppose it is all in the demoing of it. Everything still seems vague enough and with a PT9 possible around the corner we maybe only seeing half of the picture at this point.

As a user of PT LE with the music production toolkit I find it very hard to justify the spend on this - Essentially 7k for ADC.

• Advertisement

So you can run HD plug ins off your 'cpu' and then experience tons of a 'please increase your buffer size' messages. I wouldn't pay 3,500 to get that message.

So you can run HD plug ins off your 'cpu' and then experience tons of a 'please increase your buffer size' messages. I wouldn't pay 3,500 to get that message.

No you can't run TDM it will only run RTAS. The only bonus is that all playback of audio is handled by the card, freeing up cpu power for processing.

SeanHurley wrote: »
    No you can't run TDM it will only run RTAS. The only bonus is that all playback of audio is handled by the card, freeing up cpu power for processing.

I see... is it just me or is this a highly overrated piece of clank?

its not just you...

Dont think you are alone on this one Dav. Their market research department have just had and EPIC FAIL!

It makes no sense to me to be honest, most of what they are offering as being part of the "HD" package could have been achieved with a good software update (more tracks, ADC, multitrack beat detective, vca mixing etc) save possibly for the "near-zero latency" (which isn't a big deal to be honest unless you want to track with tons of plugs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

SeanHurley wrote: »

In reality the card runs the low latency mixer part of the equation, I cant see this one being a quantum leap. The benefits of TDM is the external processing of the cards, in theory you could open up the same mix on any computer assuming they both have the same number of cards. On my HD3 system I have never run out of TDM power but as anyone will tell you once you start using RTAS its a different story. RTAS is just not an efficient platform, especially when running VI's. If this embraced AU and VST then it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

woodsdenis wrote: »
    If this embraced AU and VST then it might be worth looking into.

Yeah, if Avid just embraced VST - I'd be set. But for now, my customised Reaper kicks the crap outta PT!

Advertisement