Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to Breathable Membrane

Options
  • 06-10-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on whether a breathable membrane should be completely free from damage. In my new build the membrane was installed but there is quite a lot of damage done to it in the meantime. Around the chimney area there is quite a lot or fraying due to builders climbing the roof using the slate lats rather than using a 'roof' ladder. In a couple of cases there are gaping holes the size of a closed fist and in a quite a few more cases there are holes of approx a cm in diameter. I asked the builder if this was a problem and should the damage be repaired before slating to which he responded rather irately 'you can't walk on fresh air while on a roof so of course there will be some damage'. However, he said all damage would be repaired as slate was being put on.

I would appreciate your views on whether this is an appropriate response? Should the breathable membrance be free from damage? Would it be OK to have a few minor holes in membrane but what about significant ones? Finally, where there is a fairly sizable area of felt damaged due to builder traffic will this be problematic especially as it is around a chimney?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

creedp wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice on whether a breathable membrane should be completely free from damage.
    Yes, if possible.
    However, he said all damage would be repaired as slate was being put on.
    IMO best to carry out repairs prior to laying slate. Use manufacturers tape to seal all holes. Re-felt over fist sized holes.
    Would it be OK to have a few minor holes in membrane but what about significant ones?
    No, if small holes were acceptable the manufacturer would install factory fitted holes in the membrane.
    Finally, where there is a fairly sizable area of felt damaged due to builder traffic will this be problematic especially as it is around a chimney?
    It has the potential to be problematic. Repair felt fully, ensure proper lead flashing detail to slate finish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks RKQ. When you say the damaged area should be repaired fully does this mean the lats have to be removed and the sheet of felt replaced. If so, I'm looking at another battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks RKQ. When you say the damaged area should be repaired fully does this mean the lats have to be removed and the sheet of felt replaced.
    You are welcome creedp.
    I haven't seen the damage to your roof so I can't be more exact.
    Repair means repair! It should be a water-proof & weather-proof repair. So what ever it takes to achieve this is required.

You didn't rip the felt, so its not your fault. The Builder should repair all damage without an argument. Do not accept bully boy tactics, you are paying the Builder, its your house so YOU are the Boss!

Advertisement