Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon found in Offaly

Options
  • 06-10-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

My dad found a pigeon near Killeigh in Co. Offaly last weekend limping around my grandmothers back yard. He tried to pick it up but everytime he went near it the little thing took flight and it has unfortunately died since:(

We don't know anything about birds but I was told it was probably a racing/homing pigeon. In any case, I would like the owner to know about it, as he/she is probably waiting for the bird to arrive home.

The blue tag on the birds foot reads:
    N11114 IHU09

Having googled it, IHU stands for Irish Homing Union and '09 would be year he was born
    The rest is ID but I don't know where to go from here:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Go to http://www.irishhomingunion.com/ for a start. You should be able to determine the specific club from the ring information, and there are contact details for each club on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

magentas wrote: »
    My dad found a pigeon near Killeigh in Co. Offaly last weekend limping around my grandmothers back yard. He tried to pick it up but everytime he went near it the little thing took flight and it has unfortunately died since:(

We don't know anything about birds but I was told it was probably a racing/homing pigeon. In any case, I would like the owner to know about it, as he/she is probably waiting for the bird to arrive home.

The blue tag on the birds foot reads:
    N11114 IHU09

Having googled it, IHU stands for Irish Homing Union and '09 would be year he was born
    The rest is ID but I don't know where to go from here:confused:

Racing pigeon owners are famous for having a very low regard for lost birds: the same respect that racehorse trainers have for slow horses!

However it is really important to report lost birds to them, because they will assume that every bird that doesn't return has been killed by peregrine falcons, so it's well worth letting them know about birds that get lost all by themselves.

LostCovey

Advertisement