Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing my own skis or getting rentals?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 11:33pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey. I'm going to Flaine in France for a week in January. I have all my own gear, but I'm undecided whether to bring it or not. I'm definitley bringing my own boots but do you think I just get rental skis rather than shelling out the 60euro extra to bring my skis on aer-lingus? Also if I braught them is it pretty handy to get the storage wax off them and tuned there? don't want to miss a single minute on the snow waiting for them!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would always bring my own gear.

When you arrive at the resort in the evening just drop them into the rental shop for a tune/polish then collect them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

you can get your ski's sorted in Snow & Rock Dublin before you leave.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whereabouts is snow and rock? Also has anyone here been to Flaine before?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Snow and Rock is in Dundrum.

I suppose you need to weigh up if you prefer skiing enough on your own skis to pay the €60 and carry them. I personally would take mine for €60 as at least you know what you are skiing on and mine are pretty easy to carry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd take my own as well, but it is al down to how nutty about snow you are I guess. The fact that you have your own gear suggests that you are into snowsports enough to justify any expense, and that you'd probably not be happy on rentals.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm nutty enough, worked seasons a few years back in NZ. I've decided to bring my own, sure whats the point of having them if i don't i suppose. I'm super stoked, never skied in France before and its been nearly 3 years since I last got out. Thanks for the advice guys, hope it's nothing but untracked powder for everyone this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

For that price I would always bring my own it is going to be more expensive to rent anything of a resonable quality in Flaine.

The storage wax depending on how thick it is will proaably come off after a day on the snow but if you get a plastic scraper from Snow and Rock you can take it off yourself in about 40 seconds.

Hold plastic scraper in both hands place at slight angle to base and Pull or Puch whatever you are into and wax will come off!

Snow and Rock are located at the Tesco Carpark in Dundrum shopping centre Dan and the guys are pretty good and have a full service centre there for skis.

Flaine is pretty good short transfer good snow and plenty of choice but is is one of those ugly 60's French resorts :( Not the worst but still U-G-L-Y

Thanks for the info! might just do that, think they were sharpened before the wax went on and that. Yea I saw pictures of the buildings at Flaine, not the prettiest resort but if the snow is good i'll get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 markhenry5

You should definitly bring your own ski's. Very important to have good equipment. If snow and rock can't do them and your happy to take a trip down to the midlands in December I can give them a full service for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GarMani

In 2009 friends of mine got more advanced skis in Meribel Village in the 3 Valleys for 145 euro for 6 days (they did throw in a couple of small bottles of local Genepi licqueur though). Does 60 a euro return trip for your skis seem economical now?

I've had advice that if the conditions are likely to be icy or gravelly, hire skis and protect your own from wear and tear.

If you went in late March you could possibly pick up some ex-rental skis for a good price...I've spent, 130, 130, 100, 180 and 120 on mine. (I've upgraded and passed the old ones on to friends).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

GarMani If conditions are Icy you just use a good hard wax to protect the base, problem with rentals is if you have a powder day fat skis are like gold dust in rental shops, Skis base and edge are not always the best due to people not giving a crap and skiing over anything on them.

My biggest worry would be patches being put on the base and people not being able to spot it when using or buying.

Rental shops also tend to only have skis with bindings with a din Range of up to 10 so if you are a strong skier and weigh a bit you are running the risk of pre release.:eek:

Is good advice for nebies for buying ex rentals though always a god way to get cheap and decent kit.

Advertisement