Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DL142 BSc (Honours) in Computing in Multimedia Systems/Web Engineering

• 05-10-2010 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am finishing my bsc in computing here in CIT (Cork).

I'm interested in doing the above course and am going to apply for march next year. :)

I have been getting up to scratch on photoshop, flash, illustrator, indesign etc in my own time.

Just wondering how many successful applicants there are and if people who did it found it worthwhile :eek:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I did it a few years ago and it's worthwhile but expect alot of work. I'm also gainfully employed on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

FintanK wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am finishing my bsc in computing here in CIT (Cork).

I'm interested in doing the above course and am going to apply for march next year. :)

I have been getting up to scratch on photoshop, flash, illustrator, indesign etc in my own time.

Just wondering how many successful applicants there are and if people who did it found it worthwhile :eek:

Cheers

It's mainly a computer science course, not a design course. I'm saying that based on the programs you mentioned.

When I did it a lot of people were struggling because they enjoyed the design end of the course, but not the more technical end of things. After year one, there are practically no design elements to it.

What do you want out of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sparklicous

i'm doing this course this year after working for a few years. there's a web design elective course. but we cover design principles, not photoshop or that end of things.

I'm not a great example since i've had to defer half the course content due to health problems, but what most people seem to get out of it is a chance to practice their programming skills and become more confident in programming off your own back. there's not much in the way of teaching classes that there was in the first few years of the course ie. excercise 1: "hello world". there are 2 research/theory/stastical analysis modules and another class where you get to make something to enter the microsoft imagine cup. there's a content management systems module, using joomla which is like the aforementioned exercise, but it's a great class, and a really useful tool to know if you plan on going into the web design end of things. the other modules tend to change every year depending on which are the most popular. the other 2 that are running this year are mobile computing and a physical computing course focusing on arduinos from what i hear.

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FintanK

Thanks,

In the end at this stage I have decided I am looking to get into PHP Web Development. I think this course might provide some useful modules.

If anyone else has some feedback on this course I would appreciate it :)

Advertisement