Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone please clarify this for me?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use so long as it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres. Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed four metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses.

source

I'm trying to put a shed down without having to resort to planning permission and am unclear about 2 items from the quote above:
    1 - Maximum limit of floor area is 25 square metres - is this inside the building or does it include the entire area of foundations laid? If I were to build the foundations to 26 ms but the area covered by the shed was 24.5 ms, would that be acceptable?
    2 - The roof, what is a pitched roof? I assume tiled or slated is the finish on top?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not sure about the sqm, think its the frontprint so that would include the walls.

Pitched roof, is like an air roof, similar to whats in your home.

From what they are saying they require the same finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No actually, the sq.m is measured to the inside face of external walls, including any internal walls or partitons.
    A 25sq.m shed has internal measurements of 5m x 5m (but a footprint of c.5.6m x 5.6m)

I don't know what you mean by "air roof".
    Capt. Slow, a pitched roof is one that is at angle (ie not flat).
    And in the interest of clarity, if using the 4m limit it must be tiled/slated and not just pitched.
    That's link you provided isn't just a guide, it mentions at the bottom the full list is in the C&P regs. The full list of conditions are;
    1. No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.

2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

3. The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

4. The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

5. The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.

6. The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

100% agree with Mellor.
    Exemption floor areas = gross internal floor area, (not a footprint area).

A pitched roof is a roof that is pitched at an angle, two sides of equal angle meet in the middle, commonly called an "A" roof for some reason. Most houses in Ireland have a pitched roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor wrote: »
    the full list is in the C&P regs.
    I always knew we were the trend setters but just didn't want to mention it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In fairness, gormley probably copy and pastes them for here when he gets confused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement