Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking tile floor to wood floor

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

We will soon have a new wooden floor that meets a new tiled area. Is it possible to do this without a t-piece that will annoy us forever when we are sweeping the floor?

I've been told that the level of the tile can be brought up to level of the wood (14mm) by using extra adhesive, but what could be used between the two?

Thanks
    MarkZ
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

MarkZ wrote: »
    Hi,

We will soon have a new wooden floor that meets a new tiled area. Is it possible to do this without a t-piece that will annoy us forever when we are sweeping the floor?

I've been told that the level of the tile can be brought up to level of the wood (14mm) by using extra adhesive, but what could be used between the two?

Thanks
    MarkZ

I did this very recently.

Engineered wide plank white oak floor in open plan living area meets marble floor of open plan kitchen/dining area.
    Small gap was purposely left and was then filled with cream/light coloured flexible/waterproof sealer.This blended in perfectly with the colour of the marble floor,and it is very very neat indeed.Lovely smooth and perfectly level from wood floor to marble floor.Cleaning and sweeping is also now a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cannot use adhesive to bring a tile up a full 14mm. You would have to lay down a sheet of wp ply and then tile on the ply. They ply would have to cover the entire floor where the tile is going though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You cannot use adhesive to bring a tile up a full 14mm. You would have to lay down a sheet of wp ply and then tile on the ply. They ply would have to cover the entire floor where the tile is going though.

Yep you are dead right there.

I forgot to say that the marble floor tiles in my kitchen were inch thick marble tiles,so the builder layed down sheets of 8 x 4 plywood in the entire living room area,then when the sound deadening underlay and the engineered oak floor boards went down,the oak flooring was perfectly level with the height of the marble floor.

A small gap was purposely left between the oak floor and the marble tiles,and its this small gap that was filled/blended in with the cream flexible sealer.

To look at it,the oak floor just flows real smoothly into the marble flor tiles,perfect job.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

sorry for the hijacking but I have a similar issue.
    I have 7 mm tiles and these will meet -7mm laminate laid on top of 7mm fiberboard. So 14mm.

So I need to raise the tiles 7mm. The shop told me that this was no problem with the adhesive. Its a very small area to be tiled (under stove) so amount of adhesive is not an issue.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks a lot,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

paddy147 wrote: »

Engineered wide plank white oak floor in open plan living area meets marble floor of open plan kitchen/dining area.
    Small gap was purposely left and was then filled with cream/light coloured flexible/waterproof sealer.This blended in perfectly with the colour of the marble floor,and it is very very neat indeed.Lovely smooth and perfectly level from wood floor to marble floor.Cleaning and sweeping is also now a doddle.
    Is this by experience or observation:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

johneym wrote: »
    sorry for the hijacking but I have a similar issue.
    I have 7 mm tiles and these will meet -7mm laminate laid on top of 7mm fiberboard. So 14mm.

So I need to raise the tiles 7mm. The shop told me that this was no problem with the adhesive. Its a very small area to be tiled (under stove) so amount of adhesive is not an issue.
    Can anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks a lot,

John

You cannot use a 7mm bed of adhesive...Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

paddy147 wrote: »

I have the same issue here. New porcelain tiles laid on a concrete floor meet a semi-solid wooden floor. I thought that I would just used 'brass' joins but they meet under the doors.

Did you just fill the gaps with a sealer and it looks good? Do you have name/brand of the sealer please?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Had similar situation,used clear silicone and dusted on some dry grout that matches the tiles,looks like its grouted but its not,works pretty well.

Advertisement