Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id for bird that hit window

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:44pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Here is a bird that crashed into the window. I think it maybe a young sparrowhawk. Such a shame a really lovely bird....

It happens so frequently from the posts I see here and its such a shame, I too have come across a fair few dead birds caused by hitting the windows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

looks like a sparrowhawk alright, though one of the more experienced guys will confirm this.
    can you get a pic from a better angle?
    its hard to tell but is his head badly damaged?

on a side note, if one came across a hawk in a similar situation where it had died of its own accord would i be allowed to get it stuffed?
    or would there be questions asked?
    obviously there would be a lot of questions asked about some of the birds they are trying to re introduce, but if it was a kestrel or sparrowhawk or something of that more common nature.

dont mean to hijack the thread or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

These accidents usually happen when there are two windows facing each other on either side of a room. The birds can then see through the house to the greenery on the other side, and think they can fly through the house to the other side. Covering one window with a curtain will usually stop them thinking they can fly through the house.

Or else put some dust on your windows to make them visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I dont think its a sparrowhawk infact I think this bird is an even rarer cuckoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

1squidge wrote: »
    I dont think its a sparrowhawk infact I think this bird is an even rarer cuckoo.
    I did wonder this myself but I leave the bird IDs here to the more knowledgeable folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Cuckoo can look like a sparrowhawk especially if seen in flight at distance, they have the same general body shape. But cuckoo has gray across the breast which sparrowhawk does not. The undertail pattern is a bit different also. In the cuckoo it is mostly black with thin white bars but in sparrowhawk the whitish gray bars are of equal width to the black bars.

The bird in picture is female sparrowhawk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I stand corrected. On further investigation as Feargal said it is a female sprawk. It is the undertail pattern that gives it away. Here is a pic of a cuckoo as you can see they are quite similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Shame on you Artieanna :eek: for having clean windows!! Mine are filthy and never have birds flying into them, when hubby complains I just tell him I am being mindful of the birds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

And cuckoos wouldn't be here at this time of the year anyway. They're gone, aren't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Sparrowhawk allright, prob female and not a bird of this year as she has mature plumage. As for taxidermy, all hawks and falcons are protected and even a 'dead' specimen requires a Cites Cert, Article 10! Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Sparrowhawk allright, prob female and not a bird of this year as she has mature plumage. As for taxidermy, all hawks and falcons are protected and even a 'dead' specimen requires a Cites Cert, Article 10! Dave

thanks for the reply on the taxidermy dave.
    could you point me in the right direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

@ trebor28 Local NPWS Ranger would be the first contact. You have to be able to show that the specimen died naturally or by accident. Specimen could be frozen to preserve it. A Taxidermist would be able to put you right, they would deal with this situation all the time. Dave

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

These accidents usually happen when there are two windows facing each other on either side of a room. The birds can then see through the house to the greenery on the other side, and think they can fly through the house to the other side. Covering one window with a curtain will usually stop them thinking they can fly through the house.

Or else put some dust on your windows to make them visible.

I am not buying that as this particular mishap was on a room with a single window and no view through door to garden etc, and thinking of last birds that died were in similar situation.
    Whats more likely is that they see the outside reflected back at them on the window surface and carry on thinking they can fly on..

I would have posted a clearer pic from the side but it was a bit gory and I didn't want to put anyone off their supper...

Clean windows, I wish:P::o

Do birds have colour vision?

Advertisement