Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrorthon 2010

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Here's this years line up.

Thursday Oct 21st

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 (USA, 2010)
    THE PACK (LA MEUTE) (France, 2010)

Friday Oct 22nd

CARRIE (USA, 1976)
    THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (USA, 1955)
    SHADOW (Italy, 2010)
    ISLAND OF DEATH (Greece, 1975)
    PRIMAL (Australia, 2009)
    THE APPLE (30th Anniversary) (USA, 1980)
    FINALE (USA, 2009)

Saturday Oct 23rd

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (USA, 1977)
    ALTITUDE (USA, 2010)
    PHENOMENA (Itay, 1985)
    SPIDERHOLE (Ireland, 2009)
    I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (USA, 2010)
    BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR (USA, 2008)
    SIEGE OF THE DEAD (RAMMBOCK) (Germany, 2010)

Sunday Oct 24th

HERSHELL GORDON LEWIS: THE GODFATHER OF GORE (USA, 2010)
    ED WOOD (USA, 1994)
    THE REEF (Australia, 2010)
    SURPRISE FILM
    AMER (France, 2009)
    PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (USA, 1959)
    LOOSE SCREWS: SCREWBALLS 2 (USA, 1985)
    BLOOD (Ireland, 2010)

Monday Oct 25th

HORRORTHON SHORT FILM SHOWCASE
    VIDEO NASTIES: MORAL PANIC, CENSORSHIP & VIDEOTAPE (UK, 2010)
    KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (USA, 1988)
    RED HILL (Australia, 2010)
    GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH (USA, 1990)
    MONSTERS (UK, 2010)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

http://www.irishfilm.ie/horrorthon2010/

Oh how I would love a fice day pass!

Plenty of films there I would love to see but at €9 a pop it's far too expensive for me since I have the cineworld unlimited pass so I'm used to paying nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I think I'll go for a Halloween marathon and a six pack instead. I've always wanted to go the Horrorthon and this year I finally find myself free to do so and the line up is attrocious.

How do these deserve screenings at a horror festival?

Loose Screws
    The Apple

And as for Ed Wood and Plan 9, they fit the cult styles that will appeal to many in attendance but think of any two of the dozens of fantastic proper horrors that could've been shown instead! Really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Its very poor alright. Island of death is about the only thing I'd like to see, and only as it's a video nasty. And maybe Phenomena on the big screen.

I'm the same...every year I can't make it due to something or another, this year I'm free and it's bollox

Another year another underwhelming Horrorthon line up. It's obvious that the organisers havent a clue how to programme a festival line up, ffs The Apple is completely out-of-place on that list as are a good number of the others.

It's about time someone set up an alternate horror festival. It's something I've been looking to do for a long, long time and I think that I may start working on setting one up.

Another year another underwhelming Horrorthon line up. It's obvious that the organisers havent a clue how to programme a festival line up, ffs The Apple is completely out-of-place on that list as are a good number of the others.

It's about time someone set up an alternate horror festival. It's something I've been looking to do for a long, long time and I think that I may start working on setting one up.

Do a screening of Halloween (1978) and I'll be first in line! :D

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    Do a screening of Halloween (1978) and I'll be first in line! :D

I've been talking with a lot of film makers about screening some of their work/getting them over and most seem pretty up for it. Getting the money together is the biggest problem. What I would be looking to do is showcase a number of rising talents, 1 or 2 big films and a number of classics of the genre.

I've looked into booking screens and have been pleasantly surprised by how willing the two cinemas I talked to would be in allowing me to stage the festival in their establishment. As I said it's far from a fully formed idea but I do hope to have something ready to roll for next year.

I've been talking with a lot of film makers about screening some of their work/getting them over and most seem pretty up for it. Getting the money together is the biggest problem. What I would be looking to do is showcase a number of rising talents, 1 or 2 big films and a number of classics of the genre.

I've looked into booking screens and have been pleasantly surprised by how willing the two cinemas I talked to would be in allowing me to stage the festival in their establishment. As I said it's far from a fully formed idea but I do hope to have something ready to roll for next year.

Sounds good, as long as you stick within the genre then I don't think many would complain whether or not it was up and coming or well established features being shown.

As for the theatres, well they'd be foolish to argue, they need as many hooks as possible to fill seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

niallon wrote: »
    I think I'll go for a Halloween marathon and a six pack instead. I've always wanted to go the Horrorthon and this year I finally find myself free to do so and the line up is attrocious.

How do these deserve screenings at a horror festival?

Loose Screws
    The Apple

And as for Ed Wood and Plan 9, they fit the cult styles that will appeal to many in attendance but think of any two of the dozens of fantastic proper horrors that could've been shown instead! Really annoying.

http://www.irishfilm.ie/horrorthon2010/bookings.html

Those two films are late night ones. Traditionally these slots are reserved for ... films of very dubious quality. For You Height Only was shown in the same slot a couple of years ago and if you ask anybody who got to see it, it was a highlight of the weekend.

They don't get big crowds, and most people seem to go along for a bit of craic and to enjoy a bad movie. Usually there's two films on at that time so it's a choice between the dubious film, and a straight horror film in the other screen.

Plan 9 seems to be a late night one too, although I didn't think there were three screens in the ifi.

The biggest problem is there is no alternative to the horrorthon and then its only one weekend a year so it's like throwing fish to hungry seals.
    I asked the horrorthon folk a few years ago where they interested in getting the Toetag people over(who were willing to come if the interest was right) and they hadn't even heard of Toetag or any of their movies. Imagine the publicity and controversy if Mordum was getting a screening.
    Can't see many protests due to a screening of Gremlins 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

mbv wrote: »
    The biggest problem is there is no alternative to the horrorthon and then its only one weekend a year so it's like throwing fish to hungry seals.
    I asked the horrorthon folk a few years ago where they interested in getting the Toetag people over(who were willing to come if the interest was right) and they hadn't even heard of Toetag or any of their movies. Imagine the publicity and controversy if Mordum was getting a screening.
    Can't see many protests due to a screening of Gremlins 2

Lol.Thing is though,you wouldnt even have to go with something as extreme as Mordum.Redsin would be a decent screening choice.Nasty,yes but much more accessible than the AU trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Freewheelinfilm

Impressed by the short film showcase and Amityville but there's way too much cult films in there for a horror festival! One of my friends works in the Screen and they're doing their own mini horror fest over the Halloween weekend, they should have some ticket deals but no screenings past midnight like the horrothon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

It could be they were the only films avaliable. I may try get along to a film or two this year.

Went to see Island of death. One of the nasties I always wanted to see so great to see it uncut. Absolutely ridiculous movie but strangly entertaining. Unintentionally funny ALL the way through. Outgrageous death scenes. More nude than clothed scenes.
    Not many films you can see a bloke shag a goat and piss on a horny aul one

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

sounds like one strange film.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

What were the crowds like this year?

Advertisement