Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolivian President kicks opposition in the balls

Options
  • 05-10-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

A knee to the groin may be more Vinnie Jones than Machiavelli, but it was no less effective for Evo Morales in asserting his presidential authority.

With one deft movement, Bolivia's combative leader felled an opponent in a football match against a team of political rivals. The receiving player crumpled in agony holding, as local media put it, his "testicular zone".

The incident, during a match on Sunday to inaugurate a renovated stadium in the capital La Paz, was captured on video and last night aired on local TV stations and was uploaded to YouTube.

The friendly match started when, wearing a No 10 green jersey, Morales, a football fanatic and Bolivia's first indigenous president, led his team of bodyguards and officials on to the artificial pitch.

The yellow team was led by Luis Revilla, mayor of La Paz and a political ally turned foe of the president. After smiles and handshakes the game began. Within five minutes Daniel Gustavo Cartagena, in the No 2 jersey for the mayor's team, scythed into the president after he passed the ball, gashing his right leg.

Morales, 50, a former Aymara llama herder and coca farmer, is not known for indulging critics, let alone people who foul him. He walked up to Cartagena, indicated his wound, then kneed him in the groin. The player collapsed, prompting audible whistles from spectators.

The match swiftly deteriorated into a bad-tempered, foul-filled contest which arguably mirrored the Andean country's combative politics. By the end, the match drawn at 4-4, two players from each side had been sent off, including Cartagena and one of the president's bodyguards.

One bodyguard tried to arrest Cartagena after the final whistle, the newspaper La Razón reported, but he was released after Revilla intervened.

Morales denied ordering the arrest but was unrepentant about his response to Cartagena's foul. "I passed the ball and suddenly I received a hammering. It's not the first time it happened," the president told reporters hours later...

Full story

Well, that's one way to deal with your political opponents.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If only Brian Lenihan would do the same to Brian Cowen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Brian Cowan in shorts.......... shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

What a guy! Fair play to him.....

(not by him)

Unlike our shower of airheads and gombeens, he seems to be in touch with his fellow man.

Would have done the same myself after a tackle like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Pete M. wrote: »

Unlike our shower of airheads and gombeens, he seems to be in touch with his fellow man.

I think that was the problem!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Was he playing as a left-winger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Great, lets get a FF team against a public team!
    Should be a very peaceful game. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Biggins wrote: »
    Great, lets get a FF team against a public team!
    Should be a very peaceful game. :o

Hm, the Irish public vs. FF; sounds like buzkashi rather than soccer...And at this point, I'm not sure which one is the goat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

CorkMan wrote: »

Problem is Brian Cowan has no balls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

stepbar wrote: »
    Problem is Brian Cowan has no balls....

What if he kicked out the barstool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hehehehe "testicular zone"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I liked the bit where he kicked him in the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What if he kicked out the barstool?

He'd still have no balls but a sore arse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fairness that foul is tame by South American standards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hm, the Irish public vs. FF; sounds like buzkashi rather than soccer...And at this point, I'm not sure which one is the goat. :(
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Turkic name of the game is Kökbörü; Kök = "blue", börü = "wolf"

Heh, heh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Heh, heh.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

However, polo is played with a ball, while Buzkashi is played with a dead animal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Fair play to him. Got to shake his hand in La Paz just after he had come off hunger strike. Does great things for the poor and the people love him for it. Well all the indigenas do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

CorkMan wrote: »

Two people on the same team fouling each other ?

There's no chance that could happen; sure one of that team could knife an opponent and they'd argue that it never happened, or look for the legal definition of a knife!

Now if Shane Ross could do it to both Lenihan and Cowen, that would represent the country.

Advertisement