Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog bite my mums dog, what to do?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi all

My neighbors have a dog that is causing me trouble. The first incident was I saw it run out of their property to a public area (i.e. the street) and bark and harass a couple walking their dogs by. The couple and their two dogs were all scared and standing still in shock. Luckily I was already running out my gate and charging at my neighbors dog saw me coming and ran away back to his house barking. I was furious and went and told my neighbors what happened, I said its not fair for people walking their dogs by to be harassed by their dog. She apologized and said she has had problems before and she would keep the gates closed.

A few months later my friend is over visiting with her golden retriever outside my gate when the neighbors dog comes running barking past us even though were screaming at the dog to get away. The neighbors dog 'went for' my friends dog like teeth out lunging but didn't bite it as such. The neighbor was in his property and came out and called his dog in. Anyway my friend left but I was feeling pretty pissed.

Just today my mum comes visiting with her two little yorkshire terriers (tiny little dogs). Now granted these two dogs are wee ****es and ran out of my gate the second it was open. Again the neighbours dog came and barked at them when they were really close and bit them. Granted again luckily both dogs weren't harmed. It was more like a warning bite and didn't break the skin you know.

But still I'm wondering wtf is the best thing to do in the situation. I feel like going over there and losing the head at them. The problem is they are the sister of my land lord. I love this house and I don't want to find out when my lease is over I can't live her anymore because she tells him that I'm a b*strd who harasses them about their dog.

I'm going to talk to my landlord tomorrow when I've simmered down but just wondering if anyone has any advice for me legal wise about this type of thing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dogs will be dogs, doesn't seem like the dog is doing anything not doggly only barking at other dogs, I wouldn't let it freak you out so much, It's nature. Let it slide and calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I think you're right to have a word with your landlord, after all it is in his best interest to avoid having a dog harassing his tentants, if you leave and he can't get more tentants due to this dogs actions it will be money out of his pocket. He is also in the best position to have a word with the dogs owner if she is his sister and keep everything civil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Even if the dog was locked in and barking at people, it can still intimidate people and dogs who are passing by the house. The fact that the owners have continued to permit their dog to go off their premises, whether intentially or not, shows that they really do not take their role as owners seriously. It is their responsibility to ensure that their dog is under full control at all times, and the fact that they still don't close their gates, despite you having voiced your concern, shows that they really don't care.

I would go over to your neighbour and let them know that their dog has bitten your mum's dog. I'd go down the route of saying you're really concerned as next time something more serious can happen, and that you're doing them a favour by letting them know. I know it won't be easy, but try and keep as calm as possible but at the same time enforcing your concerns. You could go through the landlord, either. You know both parties best, so only you can make the decision as who to approach.

If things don't improve, you could always contact your local dog warden and let them know what's happening. As far as I know you can make a report anonymously, although it's likely that, if followed up by the warden, your neighbours will know who reported their dog.

However, you've got to think about what could happen if the owners don't step up to their responsibilities. Thankfully nobody was hurt this time, but what happens if the next time the dog bites a child? We've already seen what a poster has gone through because of this recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Did the yorkies run out unsupervised (ie not on a leesh) onto a public area (ie on the street) where the neighbours dog bit them/it?

Personally I would go to the neighbours again. Advise them to actually keep the dog on their own property, should anything happen any dog on your property again you'll have no choice but to *insert threat here*.

But really, dogs will be dogs. It's natural for a dog to want to come out if he sees a strange dog on his patch. Dogs are terrortorial.
    Maybe have a word with your landlady but really, their dog approaching other people wouldn't really have an awful lot to do with you.
    And be very careful with actually backing up a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Dogs will be dogs, doesn't seem like the dog is doing anything not doggly only barking at other dogs,

The dog has also snapped at one dog and bitten another.
    But really, dogs will be dogs. It's natural for a dog to want to come out if he sees a strange dog on his patch. Dogs are terrortorial.

However there is a law in place which states that dogs should not be allowed roam free and should be under effective control, this dog is not and causing other people problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

hey, we had a neighbour that didnt like dogs and used to kick them.... our dog at the time was blind, diabetic and was basically on her last legs :( . he kicked this dog and my dad near punched him over it as my sister saw and came in crying over it.

he called the dog warden to come as it was a dangerous dog. the dog warden had to follow these calls obviously its their job but the dog warden was annoyed when our dog could barely walk over to him as she wasnt a threat to any1.

what im saying is you have verbally warned this neighbour, i would suggest ringing the dog warden, even if they dont take the dog away it will give your neighbour a scare to cop on and not let the dog torment the public and their dogs.

Advertisement