Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky refuse to terminate contract

Options
  • 05-10-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

Heres my story;

A couple of months ago I moved house, moving in with some people who have been there for a couple of years. Shortly after they also moved out so I took over making sure the bills were paid.

The Sky contract is in the name of somone who hasnt lived there for several years but I have the password for the account so I could pay the bill for the last couple of months. I don't have any other details and I've no idea who this person is.

Anyway, we've decided we could get a better deal if I signed up as a new customer and terminated the pervious contract which has been going for over 2 years.

When I called Sky to pay this months bill, I asked about terminating the contract and was told that the account owner would have to call up to terminate. I told Sky I have no idea who this person is to which the assistant told me that using someone else account was illegal (yes, she said illegal, but thats fair enough I guess). I asked would she rather I just didnt bother paying. Needless to say I didnt get a straight answer!

So I'm in a little bit of a bind. There is a contract to my address which I want to cancel and set up new in my own name but Sky won't let me. I have no way of contacting the account holder. I dont want to just ignore the bills that come in and wait for Sky to disconnect because I'm an honest person, maybe a bit too much so! Also I don't want to put a black mark against my address whereby they may refuse to take on a new customer here.

I know I'm overthinking it and I might as well just allow the current contract to lapse and then sign up myself, but I'm curious to know what you all reccomend I do here.

Cheers, and apoligies for the long-winded rant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You could just stop paying the bill. Then phone up and order a new subscription in your name. If they say there's already a subscription at that address just tell them the last person is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Can't you just ring up and pretend to be the account holder?

Edit: Have re-read and realised you don't know the person's name.

Are you not in contact with any of your former housemates? Can they not get in touch with the account holder, or at least provide their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not paying the bill is bad advice as you are using the service. Ask to get the account changed to your name explaining the situation. Then ask, nicely, for a similar offer to what new subscribers get (I assume HD box with free install). They will probably give it to you for 60 Euro. Means another 12 month contract in your name though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

You might have the name of the previous account holder - just send an email on their behalf cancellng the contract - put down your contact number and they will call you to offer the best deal they have on offer... they don't want to lose business

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Why dont you ring them and order sky. If all ok dont pay the current bill. Should be fairly simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tommiejoie wrote: »
    I told Sky I have no idea who this person is to which the assistant told me that using someone else account was illegal (yes, she said illegal, but thats fair enough I guess).

Does the house receive the Sky magazine or any Sky junk mail. If so in whose name is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You are paying for a Sky account belonging to someone whose name you don't know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

***Looks for mods

*whispers "Open the bill and get the name

*looks around and backs away.

So OP how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tommiejoie

OP here.

The account holders name was just down as initial and surname but I did find out the name. Sky have some additional security questions they also ask to close the account.

Anyway, since my landlord didn't have a contact either, some facebook stalking and a chance message and I found the right person. So it's all sorted now and that account will be cancelled.

Turns out Sky actually continued to direct debit her bank accout after moving out but on inquiring with sky they denied taking the money and said the account didn't exist. But that's all I know if that story.

I really have to question the morals of all these service providers. They have no problem taking money off you but if you try to do anything else they're just not interested in helping their customers.

Thanks for all your views on this.

CASE CLOSED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Next time they say you have to answer security questions, just tell em your're not paying :D Suddenly all will be rosy.

Anyway case closed. You went the long way about it tho tbh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

You have got to be messing. You have being paying for someone else's Sky Contract? LOL. You kinda shot yourself in the foot by even mentioning the existing sky contract. People come and go all the time, You should have just called Sky as a new customer. You could have said there is already a dish,but no equipment and left it at that.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Not paying the bill is bad advice as you are using the service. Ask to get the account changed to your name explaining the situation. Then ask, nicely, for a similar offer to what new subscribers get (I assume HD box with free install). They will probably give it to you for 60 Euro. Means another 12 month contract in your name though of course.

Dude bad advice, it's not his/hers contract. Shouldn't have paid a penny in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

I really have to question the morals of all these service providers. They have no problem taking money off you but if you try to do anything else they're just not interested in helping their customers.

You don't know the half of it. I don't believe Sky has any morals(my opinion and I'm entitled to it). I wouldn't have their service in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

DHFrame wrote: »
    Dude bad advice, it's not his/hers contract. Shouldn't have paid a penny in the first place.
    Slightly similar problem.
    Friend of mine has a SKY HD contract which he is not paying,the contract has about six months to run.
    Should I approach SKY with an offer to square up the account and take it on with his equipment which is now in the junk room of his new flat
    Whats in it for me is perhaps I help him out of his financial problem and install it myself at my location,if SKY will let me.In six months the contract (may) run out and I end up with the gear,which still needs a contract of course.
    I can hear the shouting begin..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

reboot wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a SKY HD contract which he is not paying,the contract has about six months to run.
    Should I approach SKY with an offer to square up the account and take it on with his equipment which is now in the junk room of his new flat
    Whats in it for me is perhaps I help him out of his financial problem and install it myself at my location,if SKY will let me.In six months the contract (may) run out and I end up with the gear,which still needs a contract of course.

Sky will only talk to the account holder. So if you get your mate to call them up and say he wants to move the account into your name, once the outstanding balance is paid, then there shouldn't be a problem. That's how it works with mobile phone contracts anyway.

reboot wrote: »

So you would only have to take on a 6 month contract instead of 12? If Sky can guarantee the account would be dissociated with friend and transferred to your name/bank account with no association with Mr Friend then I don't see any problems. I don't know if they will entertain it though. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OP here.

The account holders name was just down as initial and surname

"Hello, my name is Mr Burns, I wish to cancel my Sky contract."

"OK sir, whats your first name?"

"I dont know ..."

Advertisement