Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo for the bank holiday weekend

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Anybody any experience with overnight parking somewhere around Sligo town?

Thinking of going there for the Music festival during the October Bank Holiday.

Thanks a mill!

That'll be the first outing with my new camper (well not new but new to me)...yay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mmmhh ...good question

The campsites in Strandhill or Rosses Point will be closed.
    You could potentially stay just outside the gates in Strandhill (have seen it done before) but then you'd still have to get into town which usually means expensive taxis.

Parking in the town itself ...well, I wouldn't recommend it. First of all getting a spot will be difficult and if you do it might not be safe ...Sligo at night can be unpleasant in parts.

Maybe ask in the Clarion or Sligo Park hotel if you could (for a small fee) park in their grounds ...these would be the only ones with big enough parking and not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mikki_v

Thanks, Peasant, yup thought about Strandhill and Rosses Point but as you said that would mean a taxi in.

The Tesco's is right in the middle of town, so no point trying there, i shall have a look if I can find some other industrial estate/business park type place that has a big car park where I could stay. I work in Athlone and I see lots of campervans outsides Woodies here every morning, so i am hoping for a find like this in Sligo...

or lets see if I muster up the courage to ask the hotels :)

There would possibly be spots in the Finisklin Ind. Est. or perhaps even at the Sligo IT ...I wouldn't want to vouch for their safety though (nor for their accessability for the weekend either)

Perhaps ask the organisers if they have something going (you might even give them ideas :D)

Pleased to report e-mail to organisers has been sent..lets wait and see, I shall let you guys know how I get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Beside smiths toys in Cleveragh, but I'm not sure if they lock the carpark at night, failing that you can go down into the industrial estate, but bear in mind that some places have 24/7 security

• Advertisement

Here is what sligo music festival organisers came back with...

"...there are a number of public and private car parks in Sligo and the few people who come to the festival in campers usually park in these. You could check out Lower Quay Street Private and Public, The Institute of Technology, Connaughton Road beside the Model Arts Centre, away from the permanent campers! Rosses Point would be good as it is very safe, but as you say it is a bit remote 8km. I’m sure when you get here you will find an appropriate spot."

haha big LOL on the Barriers

Lower Quay Street looks like it might lock up over night...

Liking the idea of the Smyths Toys, there is a Lidl close there as well...

I shall see

Lower quay street has another one right next to it (access round the back) that might stay open 24h

Lidl has a barrier that closes at night afaik

Personally I wouldn't overnight in Quay street or Lidl's ...both are in areas/spots where people might find it funny to rock the van at three in morning (or worse)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Barriers don't close at lidl overnight, they have trucks loading overnight and would be in and out at about 4 in the morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement