Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record 1.5 + Reason 5 - a Short Review.

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

So I bought the bullet and purchased Reason & Record. Record is dongle protected, and a fully licensed version of Reason is required to run both together. I was a former Cubase user, so I've abandoned VSTs for now.

I have to say it was one of the best decision I've made. Using Record & Reason together is joy to work with, to say the least. The best way to describe it is that R&R is for musicians, whereas Cubase is for Engineers. With Cubase, I found myself getting bogged down in the nitty-gritty of mapping MIDI controllers to VSTs, of managing connections and Audio inputs/outputs, and constantly having to re-install a VST for an old tune. With R&R, everything just works - my MIDI keyboard & NanoKontrol mixer automatically map to the selected Instrument or Effect, audio inputs and outputs are simpler, and the Mixer sounds excellent. Also, because VSTs aren't included in R&R, you find yourself really getting to know the tools available to you. The tempo-changing feature is a wonderful addition as well. But, by far, the most impressive feature is the creative possibilities offered by the audio & CV cables at the back of the rack - you really do feel that the options available to you are endless. It's this more than anything that means I don't miss VSTs at all.

There is certainly some things I would improve. Audio Editing is not as good as what is offered in Cubase, and the method of working with Multiple Takes is slightly awkward, but you do get used to it. The supplied Bass & Guitar Amps (by Line6, makers of the POD) and okay, but there are only 3 amps & cabs for Guitar, and 3 amps & cabs for Bass. I would hope that Propellerheads include a more comprehensive Guitar & Bass module (with more Amps, Cabs, and guitar-dedicated stompboxes) for Record 2, i.e. something that could match GuitarRig or Amplitube.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Advertisement