Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pesky Phone Scammer!

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find a suitable place for this on Boards.... so in my wisdom decided to stick it in AH!

Got a couple of strange phone calls at work recently.

There's a guy with a strange English accent on the other end. He was speaking at 100 miles an hour. Yesterday he asked the MD's name. It's no secret - so I gave the name. He hung up.

Today he called back and asked for me by name, as soon as I picked up he started into his high speed pitch that he was speaking to [insert MD's name] and was told that I order the office toner....

As soon as I said I don't he asked who did. I hesitated, and asked him again what his name was. He just hung up.

I'm convinced that this is part of some sort of scam to gather information or whatever. Has anyone else come across this? Or have ye any novel ideas of things to tell him if he calls back?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

He was speaking at 100 miles an hour .. soon as I picked up he started into his high speed pitch ..

Next time he calls, say:

"Hang on a second .."

And play this down the phone ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Probably a scam. The office toner black market is booming these days. Black gold. Texas tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

OutlawPete wrote: »
    *reserving first reply, will edit post when I think of something funny*

Anything yet?

I sugegst ringing the OP for an answer.

OP? Whats your work number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

''your call is important to us, please continue to hold'' cue u humming retarded music of crap, every few seconds repeating ''your call is number 500 in the cue, a representative will be with you shortly'' he will soon get a pain in his bollox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There's a guy with a strange English accent on the other end. He was speaking at 100 miles an hour.

What a funny toner voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

gavredking wrote: »
    Anything yet?

I sugegst ringing the OP for an answer.

OP? Whats your work number ;)

555-3825 968 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Used to get them all the time when i was IT manager. They would call up, promising freebies whether I ordered or not, taking all my address details etc.
    I never ordered off them, and never received anything surprisingly enough.
    When they called back again, Id mention about previous offers of freebies, where they would feign surprise, and arrange for it to be sent out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I would pay actual money to someone if they could leave me alone in a room with a couple of those cnuts. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

A pesky phone scammer?

Sounds like a case for Scooby Doo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Pookah wrote: »
    A pesky phone scammer?

Sounds like a case for Scooby Doo.

And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

squod wrote: »
    I would pay actual money to someone if they could leave me alone in a room with a couple of those cnuts. Seriously.

Always wanted to outsource my job to a lower wage, but paying me aswell,
    Send us a pm and we will work on the details. Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

clived2 wrote: »

So you already get paid to beatup telemarketers? Is it the ones selling toner only, or have you branched out to all telephonic agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,035 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tell him that you're a police officer investigating the a murder, i.e. you being the victim and accuse the guy of being involved.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

A Indian sound fellow has been ringing our place recently and tell us we have a virus on our computer and he can remove it. Yeah right. I just hang up each time he calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Dean820 wrote: »
    A Indian sound fellow has been ringing our place recently and tell us we have a virus on our computer and he can remove it. Yeah right. I just hang up each time he calls.

Internet Service Providings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Pookah wrote: »
    Internet Service Providings?

The bird is trapped in the cold vent and may get bird flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ah no - he's for real. Next time ask him to hop on the next flight over as your internet provider has cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

squod wrote: »
    clived2 wrote: »
    phill106 wrote: »
    So you already get paid to beatup telemarketers? Is it the ones selling toner only, or have you branched out to all telephonic agents?

Where did he mention beating up telemarketers?, He just wants to be left in a room with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

He's my best friend :) he loves calling my house and telling me I have a virus on my pc. Great fun shouting at him over the phone. Have blocked his number since last month he got far to annoying, calling nearly weekly. Was an article on silicon republic not to long ago about this very chap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

when u answer the phone, say "Hello Garda Fraud Office" see how fast he hangs up then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

We always have the same Indian guy ringing us at work wanting to talk to the MD about a business proposal. I always ask him what the proposal is and he always hangs up the phone.....I just want to hear what the damn proposal is and steal it for myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Just get a whistle and have it on standby the next time he rings, use it down the phone and he won't bother you again.:D:D

Advertisement