Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What fuel do you burn?

• 05-10-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all,

If you burn a stove or a range, or an open fire, what do you burn and why? Just pick the right option in the survey, and write in what sort of device you have, and maybe why you burn that fuel (cost, dirt, heat, or some other reason?)

Thanks!

haussit

What fuel do you burn? 49 votes

Anthracite
    0% 0 votes
    Other smokeless coal
    0% 0 votes
    Bituminous/polish coal
    10% 5 votes
    Peat briquettes
    12% 6 votes
    'Raw' turf
    18% 9 votes
    Wood
    14% 7 votes
    Mix of wood and peat
    36% 18 votes
    Other
    8% 4 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I burn wood mostly as i cut and process it myself but use a smokeless coal nugget (ecobrite) to "overnight" it , have a 6kw firewarm stove , non boiler .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Wood and a small bit of turf in a log gasifying boiler. Wood and turf in a stanley Errigal range. Wood pellets (in a pellet cage), peat briguettes, turf and wood logs in a small stanley multi-fuel stove (Spend no more than €50 per year on pellets and briquettes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi
    I have a Hercules 30B and burn a mixture of wood and ecobrite. I find this combination gives the best heat to drive the stove.
    cheers
    joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I burn coal in the open fires to get a nice hot base then I switch to wood and briquettes.

In the stove, which is multi-fuel, I tend to stick to wood as it burns well with lots of heat and has little or no ash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Wood, in Morsoe stove. It not a multi-fuel stove, so only well seasoned wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 facken

I have an open fire and use mainly polish coal, blocks and peat. Ecobrite (I hear) is good for stoves. Union nuggets (compressed coal dust) is also ok and cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

what is the ash / clinker like from the ecobrite?.

The ash from the union nuggets is like from turf so a quick riddle and u are done.

I burn turf/nuggets and logs in a charnwood multi fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Ya I burn Ecobrite too its the best by far I tried a few different types of coal. Polish was too dirty and wet good flame but thats about it could not see the fire in stove after a while glas got so dirty. Anthracite was completely inconsistent and was hard to light. Briquettes are great to light a fire but full of ash and very little real heat output. Wood is okay but again heat output could be better. Ecobrite is fantastic really clean glass once the fires I lit burned off staining by polish ( my Oisin Stanley stove has an airwash system) the ash was really minimal compared to the other fuels and unbelievably it lasts a long time once I get it lit throw a shovel on once every hour of so and it keeps going all day/night. My mate is a Stanley rep and they have some Heatweek promotion next week and in some stanley outlets if you buy a stove you get a free bag of Ecobrite in your stove and 30 briquettes and all the stoves are reduced for the week, never a better time to buy a stove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

facken wrote: »
    I have an open fire and use mainly polish coal, blocks and peat. Ecobrite (I hear) is good for stoves. Union nuggets (compressed coal dust) is also ok and cheaper

Union nuggets are not compressed coal dust they are chunks of lignite or brown coal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement