Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water bottle

Options
  • 05-10-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Looking to get a new water bottle. Was in a few shops in dublin yesterday, couldnt make a decision. Anyone have any good suggestions on what make to get?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get a camelbak or a platypus instead!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gavinohalloran

Yeh saw them alrite. Also came across Nalgene, SIGG and Stanley. Just didnt know the difference between the plastic, aluminium and stainless steel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd be a fan of the Nalgene bottles or I use my cycling bottles too. Find the Camelbaks to be a bit fiddley and useless when I'm somewhere cold as the hose tends to freeze.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SomeFool wrote: »
    I'd be a fan of the Nalgene bottles or I use my cycling bottles too. Find the Camelbaks to be a bit fiddley and useless when I'm somewhere cold as the hose tends to freeze.

Yea good point, they do tend to freeze up when skiing or anywhere really cold, wouldn't be without mine on the irish hills though. Hate having to stop and take off the pack to get a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea good point, they do tend to freeze up when skiing or anywhere really cold, wouldn't be without mine on the irish hills though. Hate having to stop and take off the pack to get a drink.
    I've got a water bottle that attaches to the waist band of my rucksack, no bother at all ... something like this. I wouldn't have the patience to fiddle about with a camelbak or similar, especially the whole cleaning thing, not to mention the danger of leaks.

If you do insist on such a thing, there are versions available with insulated bags and also insulated sleeves for the drinking tube to cope with low temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Nalgene are heat resistant so you can put hot tea etc in them. Aluminium has been connected with Alzheimer’s if I'm not mistaken, and steel is heavy but strong and rugged. I'd go for Nalgene or steel.

Alun wrote: »
    I've got a water bottle that attaches to the waist band of my rucksack, no bother at all ... something like this. I wouldn't have the patience to fiddle about with a camelbak or similar, especially the whole cleaning thing, not to mention the danger of leaks.

If you do insist on such a thing, there are versions available with insulated bags and also insulated sleeves for the drinking tube to cope with low temperatures.

Yea I have one with an insulated pipe. The end of it still froze once when i was skiing, but only once and it was in a blizzard. Mines a camelbak and its got a lifetime garauntee and it's never leaked in 3 years. Know plenty who've had platypus' leak but never a camelbak. Not much fiddling involved at all really. As for the cleaning thing, can't say I've ever cleaned it!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

camelbak Or platypus

Id say camelbak - its better in the cold then platypus {platypus crack in the cold camelbak just freezes and after that you can re use it}, you also can get some nice extras for camelbak ( insulated pipe and insulated head! and insulated bag ofc!!) look online and that will help. - if you buying one lookup the army camelbaks and you will see the set up for theres if your going to be out in hard conditions best set up yours like there insulated etc!

Nalgene, SIGG and Stanley

Sigg is good if you get like a rock climbing clip - crab - and you can connect it to you back so you do lose it - its light and while Yes Aluminium has been connected with Alzheimer’s - if your just using it on and off its ok, also you can drop a sigg it will dent but will be ok.

I have been told of Stanleys not been the best after been dropped etc but never used it so wont comment after that.

Nalgene are also good but ones i used where a bit big and did not feel nice in the hand when compared to sigg bottles, they also can be clied on to a bag but the strap (plastic) wont last as long. also bottles dont fit as well in to holders on outside of most bags i seens

Over all
    Id buy a camelbak 3L. is best i find. and use it in ireland all you want, i was in swiss alps over summer over 3,000 meters around bit of snow - not much, on a glacier in the cold and had not a prob with it!! best but ever

[used platypus for 5 years and was never happy iwth it, now useing camelbak and nothing bad to say]

just to note I also carry a 1L Sigg for when it gets colder and then i put the camelbake away in the bag, but your talking like been around snow in winter and F.cold and not in ireland!

For about 80% of outdoors people the camelbake is fine 100% of the time!! even the army use them and i find thats a good judge of something.

sorry for long post but hope this can help a few people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gavinohalloran

Nice one evryone and whitehawk;

yeah im along the same thinking; Camelbak seem functionally better, but the designs of the siggs are pretty cool, saw them in the shop the other day. I do want a bit of both. SIGGs seem more sturdy, nalgene feel like them might crack with a big fall. Camelbak seems all round better and more suitable, especially with the extras, but not really convinced yet they are the one for me. If camelbak would freeze, surely SIGG would aswell right, or even faster?

I was in a shop today looking at more of them, I asked the sales guy to convince me which one to buy. thought it would be good to get his "expert" opinions. Out of all of them he recommended the SIGG. Still havent decided!

And mr evil, I think if i was going to put tea into somethin id get a flask, but that is a good bonus of the nalgene. When you said aluminium is bad for you, i heard plastic is worse; cause of the stuff it is made out of?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    As for the cleaning thing, can't say I've ever cleaned it!! :P
    Hmmm, I was always told it was essential to keep them clean, especially the tubes, to prevent build-up of harmful bacteria. See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Ya no probs,
    If camelbak would freeze, surely SIGG would aswell right, or even faster?

Ya a sigg would freeze but if kept in a bag it would be inculated around jumpers and crap so less likey to freeze in in 0 to -5 etc but after that you need something diff as even sigg is not that good in extream temps.
    the camelbak bag wont freeze to easy, its more whats out of the bag and rucksack that freezes first like the tube for the camelbak.

The blue camelbak helps cut down on bacteria growth but i would clean it, just when you get home with it after weekend etc just fill it with water and give it gd shack and empty then re fill and run water through the tubes so its also clean, in irealnd the amount of chlorine in water is well enough to clean out a camelbak

Advertisement