Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late 1880s planned roads in Ireland

Options
  • 05-10-2010 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭

http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/maps-ireland.htm

its all in this link these maps are from, Source: Report of the Boundary Commissioners for Ireland. 1885.
    Dublin: Printed by Alex. Thom & Co. (Limited), 87, 88, & 89, Abbey Street,
    The Queen's Printing Office.

these are very good maps, excellent stuff in them..

you can clearly see routes not in present existence , they are represented by 4 black lines , 2 narrow lines on each side separated by a larger gap..not to be confused with the rail or canal lines..

seems limerick to dublin would have gone above the existing N24 and meet the cork dublin route at holycross and continue by thurles and templemore to dublin goin north of nass entering dublin below lucan near present day N4.

the waterford to limerick route going by clonmel then north of cahir ( crosses dublin cork route ) and meeting the dublin limerick route below cappaquin .

another route leaves armagh city to the south west via castleblaney to dublin, where it would meet the enniskillen dublin route at navan which follows the railway from kells , and passes by cavan, stradone and virginia.

cork is missing from the map series..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

These lines are rather odd. Are these proposed railways rather than roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the railways are also on it, bud.. but they are two thick lines , the roads are lighter..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Just to double check (sorry to be pain in butt!), but you're talking about the routes represented on the maps as twin light grey parallel lines, with a wide gap, with L.XXX printed at different points in the gap, like the one on the Dublin map, which passes through the L of Castleknock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

yes they are the ones, thanks i couldnt describe it any better myself.. its interesting where the dublin /cork and waterford /limerick meet north of cahir, not too dissimilar to where they meet nowadays ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Strikingly modern in the way they bypass towns and villages. I wonder if they'd be any use to modern road planners in helping to choose new road alignments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Strikingly modern in the way they bypass towns and villages. I wonder if they'd be any use to modern road planners in helping to choose new road alignments.
    Not really, Knowing us Irish we build on the side of the roads once they open, see Shannon to Limerick road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

limklad wrote: »
    Not really, Knowing us Irish we build on the side of the roads once they open, see Shannon to Limerick road.

Presuming you're talking about around Cratloe? Those houses were there long before the Dual Carriageway was invented in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I wonder if they'd be any use to modern road planners in helping to choose new road alignments

Since the Limerick to Shannon road was not a new alignment, this has nothing to do with the 1880s proposal, if there were road proposals.

Advertisement