Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qantas passengers to sue over severe turbulence

Options
  • 04-10-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Turbulence caused a Qantas A330 to enter into two nose dives, and over 100 people were injured... physically and psychologically... do you think the airline, Airbus and the FMC manufacturer should be held liable for this?

In my view, its just hard luck that they entered such turbulence and it's a force of nature... so they should not be held liable. Whats your view?

Video here:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe they should have been fucked out of the plane with parachutes if they didn't fancy an emergency landing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dont call me shirley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Unless it can be shown that the actions taken by the flight crew were negligent in some way then I don't really see that they have a case, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Jeasus, id rather that then being killed in a fiery crash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Turbulance is a part of flying so no. Hope they lose the case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The same f***ers will be complaining about high air fares next year after the huge payout the airline will have to cough up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Unless it can be shown that the actions taken by the flight crew were negligent in some way then I don't really see that they have a case, no.

Well, seeing as some of the flight crew - including the captain - are suing, it should be an interesting case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Social Disorder

So...they are complaining that while flying at a few hundred miles an hour...in a metal tube.. they were getting shaken a little?

Maybe the ones seriously injured should be able to sue, or indeed those injured at all. The only claim should be medical cost, nothing more or nothing less. Absolutly no "im mentally scarred"claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well, seeing as some of the flight crew - including the captain - are suing, it should be an interesting case.
    Hmmm, my assumption was they were heading to court as defendants but on listening again it appears not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fairness to them tho...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Rainman is gonna sh!t over this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

I'm sure it must've been frightening to go through two nose dives through thousands of feet... and I can imagine such an event would hurt people psychologically... but it is not the airlines fault that this happened... even with the most sophisticated weather radar, it cannot detect turbulence, rather likely pockets of turbulence. The Air France A330 that crashed in the Atlantic after takeoff from Brazil is said to have encountered turbulence that these Qantas passengers could only have imagined in their worst nightmares... yet Air France are not being sued because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

People will claim/sue over anything and this is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Why is the Captain suing exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    .. yet Air France are not being sued because of it

Bit hard to sue from your grave......

All the relatives of the dead are suing and will receive compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Naos wrote: »
    Why is the Captain suing exactly?

The case is against the aircraft manufacturers, it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

In the interest of throwing in a few jokes....Oldies....but still give me a giggle :)
    *btw added in the Snopes link just to save people having to Google for it;)

Apparently, after every flight, Qantas pilots fill out a form, called a 'gripe sheet', which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems; document their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humour. Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Qantas' Pilots and the solutions recorded by maintenance engineers.

Pilots: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
    Engineers: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Pilots: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    Engineers: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Pilots: Something loose in cockpit.
    Engineers: Something tightened in cockpit.

Pilots: Dead bugs on windshield.
    Engineers: Live bugs on back-order.

Pilots: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
    Engineers: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Pilots: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
    Engineers: Evidence removed.

Pilots: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
    Engineers: That's what they're for.
    Pilots: Suspected crack in windshield.
    Engineers: Suspect you're right.

Pilots: Number 3 engine missing.
    Engineers: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Pilots: Aircraft handles funny.
    Engineers: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

Pilots: Target radar hums
    Engineers: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

Pilots: Mouse in cockpit.
    Engineers: Cat installed.

The following letter was written by a retired Qantas pilot to his former colleagues:
    Dear All,
    Please find enclosed a home study simulator course [HSSC] for those of you who still hunger for the romance and adventure of airline travel.
    If you follow all the steps in this HSSC you will experience that 'Romance and Adventure.'

1] Do not go to bed

2] Sit in your most uncomfortable chair, preferably in a cupboard, for 9 or 10 hours facing a 4 foot wide panoramic photo of a flight deck

3] Have two or three noisy vacuum cleaners on high, out of sight but within hearing distance and operating throughout the night. If a vacuum cleaner fails, do the appropriate restart checklist

4] Halfway through your nocturnal simulator course, arrange for a bright spotlight to shine directly into your face for two or three hours, simulating flying eastbound into the sunrise

5] Have bland overcooked food served on a tray halfway through the night

6] Have cold cups of coffee delivered from time to time, and ask your spouse to slam the door frequently

7] At the time when you must heed nature's call, force yourself to stand outside the bathroom door for at least ten minutes, transferring your weight from leg to leg, teasing the discomfort. Don't forget to wear your hat.

8] Leave the cupboard after the prescribed nine or ten hours and turn on your sprinklers in the garden and stand out in the cold and "rain", for twenty minutes, simulating the wait for the crew car

9] Head for your bedroom, wet through and with your suitcase and flight bag. Stand outside the door till your wife gets up and leaves, simulating the wait while the maid makes up the hotel room

10] When your spouse inquires, 'Just what in the hell have you been doing?' just say, 'Recalling the allure of all night flying to romantic places.' as you collapse into bed

11] If you are a purist, make this a two-day trip instead of a turn-around, so do this two nights in a row. Above all 'Enjoy Yourselves.'
    Regards.......................Jim Retired.

http://www.guy-sports.com/months/jokes_qantas.htm
    http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/squawk.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I was on a qantas flight from Santiago to Auckland and we had sever turbulence for about 8 hours on and off as we flew close to Antartica where there's supposedly a lot of clear air turbulence and high winds. We had one big nose dive that threw everyone up outta their seats. I never heard anything about anyone suing from that one. Tubulence can't be controled and should not be the fault of the airline. Horrible experience to go through but money isn't gonna erase it. Poxy claim happy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

i know someone who was on that flight...by all accounts wouldnt wish what happened on my worst enemy.. cabin was covered in blood vomit etc after it..the plane dropped so quickly anyone who wasnt strapped in hit the roof...in fairness it makes for a cracking tale to tell the grandkids ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Everyone of those passengers shouldn't be allowed in the door!

• Advertisement

Give them money if they sign a piece of paper saying they will never use any airplane again.. If they do use one again, they're not harmed enough for damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Depends on the facts of course.

If they were advised by air traffic control of the situation, then perhaps they were at fault.
    Maybe they knew about the potential/probable problem but decided to feck it anyway and fly on through!
    Let's wait and see the facts I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,035 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Welcome aboard Qantas flight 815. In the event of a little turbulance, pray it's going to be the worst thing that happens in the next 9 hours or so...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement