Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I paint my side of a back garden wall?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

It's not ours, it's definitely theirs over the boundary on their side.
    We had fencing, they had hedging.
    About 5 years ago he constructed a wall (badly) on their side and removed the hedges without touching our fences.
    Eventually we took down the fence, and now I want to paint the whole wall on my side though I know it's theirs.
    Their side is painted and looks really well.
    I don't want to ask them really, we get on but we're not pals.
    (the other side of the garden is shared half and half)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Realtine wrote: »
    It's not ours, it's definitely theirs over the boundary on their side.
    We had fencing, they had hedging.
    About 5 years ago he constructed a wall (badly) on their side and removed the hedges without touching our fences.
    Eventually we took down the fence, and now I want to paint the whole wall on my side though I know it's theirs.
    Their side is painted and looks really well.
    (the other side of the garden is shared half and half)

Not without getting their permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

The wall is fully in your neighbours property, but how close is it to the boundary line? Can your neighbour actually stand on his own property between his wall and the boundary line, or is his wall built right up to the boundary?

...but how close is it to the boundary line? Can your neighbour actually stand on his own property between his wall and the boundary line,...

I'm curious, what has this got to do with painting a wall on neighbours property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Realtine wrote: »

Google%20Talk.png&t=1

Why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

I'm curious, what has this got to do with painting a wall on neighbours property?

Because if the neighbour couldn't see or access that side of the wall, he wouldn't mind if it was painted. But in any case, yours is the legally correct answer.

• Advertisement

emanresu wrote: »
    Because if the neighbour couldn't see or access that side of the wall, he wouldn't mind if it was painted. But in any case, yours is the legally correct answer.
    I know what you mean, but when the wall is entirely on the neighbours property, permission is needed to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

emanresu wrote: »
    He shouldn't mind either way, but you still have to ask

Advertisement