Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY ATTICS from € 3500 Anyone done this?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Has anyone looked into getting their attic converted recently? I got a quote in 2006 for my Hipped roof house for 26,000 now they are doing them for 15. Which is still WAY outta my budget. I saw this add and was wondering has anyone tried this type of conversion and if so had did it go. Basically add states "DIY attics i put steel stairs and velux from 2500" . I guess the electrical work, stud partitioning of roof and plastering are not finished.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Be afraid!!! Who is going to certify the (entire) works?

I suppose it can be done, but you really want to know what you are doing first! If doing an attic conversion as a DIY job, seriously consider getting an architectural technician or architect come up with an overall plan and specification to work to that will comply with all relevant aspects of building regulations. For example, if you use the wrong insulation or do not get ventilation correct you could do long term damage to your existing roof structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You need on-site advice to see if it is feasible at all. As pointed out you will also need advice on insulations and space and structure ventilations. You will also need to consider compliance with the Building Regulations regarding head heights, escape routes if necessary, whether extending existing heating system is feasible, etc.,

Advertisement