Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Samoyed Owners?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi we just adopted a samoyed-the owner is emigrating

He is seven years old ,in great health and an absolute dote

There doesnt seem to be much info about this breed so would love to hear from some other owners

thanks for reading;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

my mother has a 1 yr old male he is great has a real happy go lucky tempermant him and my rottie are best mates,they are a great companion dog,the only problem we have with him is he is an escape artist!so he has to be supervised while in the garden and also this breed is one of the breeds you do not let of the lead as they have a very poor recall hope this helps and best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

thanks for replying

thank god we have a well secured back yard anyway :pac: does a poor recall mean that they dont come back when you call?-can this be corrected with training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

huskies and samoyeds are known for not coming back when they are called i'm sure very extensive training could work but beening quiet honest if the dog if 7yrs old it's probly stuck in his/hers way it would be a late training them now as this would normally be done when their younger,any chance u could ask the previous owner what the recall is like???

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Legen_Dary

Oh wow, congrats, they are such beautiful dogs. One walked into my house once. It was very quiet and just lay there when my one year old Alsation was trying to play and annoying it like mad. Judging by this one thwy are very placid dogs. Me, mum and dog were all secretly devestated when we found the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

we used to have one when i was younger.
    they need a lot of exercise. i used to take the bike and he was very happy running along beside me for miles or in winter pulling us on the sled(its in their nature)
    they dont like to be alone, real family dogs, love children
    need a lot of grooming, brushing nearly every day and be prepared to have hair everywhere
    very friendly(dont expect a guard dog)

• Advertisement
Advertisement