Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Curbs Child Benefit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

My opinion is that there is already a thread on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Opinions?

Lots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think they are doing the right thing with that.

Welfare should only be used by people that need it to suppliment their income.

If they don't actually need it because they have a high income, they should not have it avail for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I think they are doing the right thing with that.

Welfare should only be used by people that need it to suppliment their income.

If they don't actually need it because they have a high income, they should not have it avail for them.

This.

Finally the lesser paid aren't the ones to suffer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

It should be completely scrapped. If you can't afford a kid you shouldn't have them.

And before someone stops moaning about that opinion I want to add that I have a 9 month old baby, and know exactly how much it costs. But we would not have decided to have one if we couldn't afford it without government support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

DubDani wrote: »
    It should be completely scrapped. If you can't afford a kid you shouldn't have them.

Hundreds are killed every year in road traffic accidents every year, often leaving the other parent suddenly on their own with a young family.

Scrapped for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Hundreds are killed every year in road traffic accidents every year, often leaving the other parent suddenly on their own with a young family.

Scrapped for everyone?
    Well then, only available for families that lose a parent to death or long term disability.

Unfortunately our welfare system isn't based on 'what people need to avoid starvation/homelessness/poverty ' and is more based on 'what will cause the least hassle when the general election rolls around'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Many parents were solicitors and architechs during the boom, they are in MaccyD's now, if they are working at all, should they be repremanded for the f ing up of our Gov???

And dont forget Mary working in the local shop that has had to close. No education but always working to look after her home. Should she have to suffer. 150 for 12 months = 1,800 a year. Thats about 2-3 week of a TDs expenses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Should Ireland do the same? Surely someone on a high income (over €50,000) doesn't need it like a family at €20,000 does?
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/1004/britain.html

Opinions?

I find that a lot of people in Ireland rely on the childrens allowance to live off.

For bills, mortgages etc.

I think that if you were to take it away completely off people that it should be phased down to a smaller payment and then taken off them completely.

I think that you would need to cap it a bit higher than €50,000, as that is not a high income for a family now a days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My opinion is that there is already a thread on this.

The government doesn't need to stop CB; they just need to tax duplicate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Quality wrote: »
    I find that a lot of people in Ireland rely on the childrens allowance to live off.

For bills, mortgages etc.

I think that if you were to take it away completely off people that it should be phased down to a smaller payment and then taken off them completely.

I think that you would need to cap it a bit higher than €50,000, as that is not a high income for a family now a days.

I was thinking the same thing. 50,000 aint a big amount for a family these days. Perhaps 70,000 or above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Hi OP,

I think there is another thread on this issue that was started earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I was thinking the same thing. 50,000 aint a big amount for a family these days. Perhaps 70,000 or above.

but does it stop at 70k for a single income family or could families where both earn 65k still get it??? It really opens a minefield that govt can't afford to spend money on working it out. Far easier to just cut it for everyone. Also, if they take it off higher earners wouldn't that be unconstitutional ?

course another difference is that in the UK CB is alot less than here anyway and they have free healthcare and education whereas here anyone without a medical card is paying through the nose for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was only giving it as an example again 20k, but I better change it before Lenihan gets on her and gets any ideas!!! ;)
    procure11 wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I think there is another thread on this issue that was started earlier.

Yes, I know. I looked to see if there was one, couldn't find it, then after I started this one, I found it :o Always happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Should Ireland do the same? Surely someone on a high income (over €50,000) doesn't need it like a family at €20,000 does?
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/1004/britain.html

Opinions?

Won't be stopped on travellers, so what's the point.

Advertisement