Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifts for Men/Lads/Blokes

Options
  • 04-10-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey,

Some I'm thinking about what types of gifts I should get for men... but I don't really spend much time in shops (hate shopping). I'm thinking the staples are power tools for the DIYer and Playstation/Xbox games for the gamer.

What else is 'in' this Christmas for men, though? Is there certain types of cologne and that sort of thing that I'm missing?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

For guys it's tough really, usually I try and figure out what they're into and go that way.
    Like my dad is a big DIY'er, not into sports or cars or anything else like that. So over the years we've bought him all sorts of tools/machinery/gadgets/ladders/leathermans etc.
    My brother is a gamer, so tshirts or games or vouchers for a game shop does him. And books.
    Bf is into his cars, his sports n few other bits so I figure things out that way.

You really have to see what someone is into specifically, because there are a lot of generic male presents that don't suit a lot of guys. Regarding cologne/smelly stuff, again it's very personal so I'd get them what they already have & like, rather than a new one that they may hate. I'd hate if someone bought me perfume (unless it's the one I wear) because I hate most of them.

Some guys like massages / that end of things, some might prefer games or gadgets or track days. I'd honestly try and see what exactly they're into and see what you can do from there. That's how I work it with most people, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Both my dad and my bf get boxsets, different ones of course. I think they are great presents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Don't buy us aftershave! Most dreaded of all presents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Don't buy us aftershave! Most dreaded of all presents!

Surely it's better than socks no? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

A boxset of "24" is the ultimate man present, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Both my dad and my bf get boxsets, different ones of course. I think they are great presents!

I got boxsets of Deadliest Catch and Mythbusters for two relatives last year and they loved them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Max Keller

Got a gorgeous set of cufflinks last year. Great gift in my opinion. Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

star-pants wrote: »
    Surely it's better than socks no? :pac:

Actually, I love getting socks. Getting a new pair of socks is so refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I agree with the one of the post above regarding drills, tools or power tools you need to know about these before buying them.
    Here are some thing I brought for people over the past few years.
    Solar powered car to make or for anyone who loves gadgets the website Iwantoneofthose.com will give you ideas.
    A Wire fan - The Wire:Truth be told book - make sure all series are in it or the Wire Dvd set.
    The Inbetweeners dvd or The Only Fools and Horses dvd - the ones where the get the money and then lose it again.
    A small radio to listen to football matches or when working outside or any books about sport.
    Can I ask you what age the person is that you are trying to buy for and how much money do you what spend as I may suggest something for you to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Pen knife is a good one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Heh, I actually am buying my boyfriend socks but only because he always complains he can never find a matching clean pair without holes in them.

A flask. Engraved with their name if you want it a bit more special. I think that'd be class for a brother/boyfriend if they're into that sort of thing. A friend has one and drinks out of it for the novelty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Vouchers.

You can't go wrong with these. Then the guys always get what they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm getting my brother either a laptop or a tablet this year.
    He'll get his christmas clothes too kind of traditional - jeans, shirt, jacket, underwear, socks.
    He loves Hugo Boss so I'll get him a bottle of that.
    And I have a photo that I know will be special to him so Im going to get it framed and give it to him.

I'll probably get him a couple of small novelty things like DVDs ect.

My boyfriend is getting
    - A short break somewhere nice that I haven't decided yet.
    Maybe Milan or Barcelona.
    - Ipad2.
    - PS3 games.

He's getting a new suit from our baby daughter.

I'm not entirely sure what to get my father as he literally has everything he could possibly want.

But you see, not all men are into the same thing.
    You have your gadget guys, your sporty guys, daredevil guys (off road racing, skydiving) your car guys, your vain guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

If you and the boyfriend ever break up, fancy a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Hey Storminateacup If you end hooking up with Radharc na Sleibhte I'd gladly be your adoptive brother!

Anyway I Love getting boxsets at X-mas. So I'd figure out what shows the man in your life would like to get into but hasn’t just yet. The big ones which most blokes would like being The Wire, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Band of Brothers and The Pacific to name a few. You can’t go wrong with them really, unless they already have them of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Agree.. Every lad loves a decent box-set..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

+1
    Day off. Telly. Dvd.
    Christmas in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

No,,my hubby would NOT like gadgets,boxsets,books,vouchers anything decent that I can ever think of! He loves clothes but I always get him them and he says "oh,I've too many clothes!" BUT Its the only thing he's into so what else is there?? Any suggestions? He does love sport but apart from tickets for a man u match or something (which I defo can't afford) what else is there??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

MazzR wrote: »
    No,,my hubby would NOT like gadgets,boxsets,books,vouchers anything decent that I can ever think of! He loves clothes but I always get him them and he says "oh,I've too many clothes!" BUT Its the only thing he's into so what else is there?? Any suggestions? He does love sport but apart from tickets for a man u match or something (which I defo can't afford) what else is there??:eek:

Would he like something like a Mondello Park gift voucher ?
    http://www.mondello.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I'm getting my brother either a laptop or a tablet this year.
    He'll get his christmas clothes too kind of traditional - jeans, shirt, jacket, underwear, socks.
    He loves Hugo Boss so I'll get him a bottle of that.
    And I have a photo that I know will be special to him so Im going to get it framed and give it to him.

I'll probably get him a couple of small novelty things like DVDs ect.

My boyfriend is getting
    - A short break somewhere nice that I haven't decided yet.
    Maybe Milan or Barcelona.
    - Ipad2.
    - PS3 games.

He's getting a new suit from our baby daughter.

I'm not entirely sure what to get my father as he literally has everything he could possibly want.

But you see, not all men are into the same thing.
    You have your gadget guys, your sporty guys, daredevil guys (off road racing, skydiving) your car guys, your vain guys.

hohohomygod you're like santa on speed:eek: Can I adopt you, I am a great sister :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A speedboat, blokes love boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Boxsets, gadgets, video games and books for me!

Advertisement