Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road worthy quad.

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Simple question, what makes a quad road worthy?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I don't have quad but from a motorbike point of view you legally need a speedometer, 4 indicators and a rear and brake light. Also a headlight and of course registration plate like 09 WW 1267.
    I know this from looking into getting an off-road bike road worthy.

Be carefull with quads at speed on the road, they are famous for tipping over.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Thanks for the info TheUsual.

Does a quad driver/rider need a helmet to be legal on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TheUsual wrote: »
    I don't have quad but from a motorbike point of view you legally need a speedometer, 4 indicators and a rear and brake light. Also a headlight and of course registration plate like 09 WW 1267.
    I know this from looking into getting an off-road bike road worthy.

Be carefull with quads at speed on the road, they are famous for tipping over.

Are you sure of these? I always assumed if they where fitted they need to work but if not fitted they are not required. I know the UK has Daytime MOT not too sure about here thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the info TheUsual.

Does a quad driver/rider need a helmet to be legal on the road?

AFAIK they are treated as cars but you need bike insurance. Regardless of legality I wouldn't risk riding on the roads without one, here's 5th Gear riding one on the roads

http://www.streetfire.net/video/065-fifth-gear-polaris-sportsman-800-efi-quad-bi_173759.htm

Have you tried to get an insurance quote yet? Unless you have a farm policy it's nearly impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

No you need a helmet for a passenger, anyway you should do this to be a cool guy. I would never think of carrying a girlfriend or daughter on a bike without a helmet at least... never mind gloves and boots.

As for 4 indicators and a headlight, the law here in Ireland was changed years ago .... I know the UK is diifferent years ago but not here. You need the same lights as a car basically to ride on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Simple question, what makes a quad road worthy?
    I think it cant be done now unless you get it modded with mirrors indicators etc....
    Went about taxing ours a few year back, as we do a bit of road travel to an out farm and were told we couldnt unless we did x,y and z... so we just left it.
    As for insurance we were quoted 500 euro for theft pretty much,
    So we got it in a bundle with farm insurance.
    As for a helmet, well your a fool if you dont use one

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Thanks for the info....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they are treated as cars but you need bike insurance. Regardless of legality I wouldn't risk riding on the roads without one, here's 5th Gear riding one on the roads

http://www.streetfire.net/video/065-fifth-gear-polaris-sportsman-800-efi-quad-bi_173759.htm

Have you tried to get an insurance quote yet? Unless you have a farm policy it's nearly impossible.

very good video giving some interesting information regarding quads and driving on roads

Advertisement