Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Scotland have a Beaver reintroduction program but Ireland doesnt?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Ive been following the Beaver re-introduction program in Scotland on http://blog.scottishbeavers.org.uk/
    And I cant understand how they can have that, and we dont have one here in Ireland. Surely we have just as much wetlands, streams and suitable habitat, as they do.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did we ever have beavers?

Is Ireland suitable? Are there predators to control numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Because it would generate hysteria and ignorance from the usual quarters - just look at the eagle projects:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Ive been following the Beaver re-introduction program in Scotland on http://blog.scottishbeavers.org.uk/
    And I cant understand how they can have that, and we dont have one here in Ireland. Surely we have just as much wetlands, streams and suitable habitat, as they do.

Anyone got any ideas?

Victor's points above are really important. The Irish re-introduction programmes were not set up on a whim, or just because the UK had done a similar programme. A lot of research on prey, habitat, breeding sites etc was done first. I would imagine that we have very little suitable habiat for beavers (if we ever had them is an equally valid point.

I think anyone looking at the current situation would invest any resources available in the existing projects rather than spread the jam too thinly trying to take on more species.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LostCovey wrote: »
    Victor's points above are really important. The Irish re-introduction programmes were not set up on a whim, or just because the UK had done a similar programme. A lot of research on prey, habitat, breeding sites etc was done first. I would imagine that we have very little suitable habiat for beavers (if we ever had them is an equally valid point.

I think anyone looking at the current situation would invest any resources available in the existing projects rather than spread the jam too thinly trying to take on more species.

LC

Research in this area has indeed thrown up a few suprises, among them is the fact that the likes of Red Deer and Red Fox are not native while Brown Bear and Wild Boar were - wouldn't it be cool..... on second thoughts I won't go there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Birdnuts, I think your reference to hysteria over the Sea Eagle project is a bit below the belt and unfair. Such generalisations are unhelpful.

That said, we do not have suitable habitat for a Beaver programme. Wetlands are not the primary requirement. Beavers do not build in bog, marsh or lakes. They need wet woodland - which is currently scarce in Ireland The lack of true wilderness and mature/ancient woodland is a barrier to a sustainable Beaver population.

• Advertisement
Advertisement