Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you watch much TV ?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

I have to say I dont watch it much these days. Its all reality crap and ads every few minutes, mind numbing nonsense
    Occassionaly there are shows worth watching , such as Sopranos or The Wire. Id rather download them to be honest or get the boxset

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i don't watch the television ever, but i do watch seasons of shows i think are worth watching (24; house; dexter; criminal minds etc) via downloads or boxsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Well, theres just Friends, Simpsons, Corrie, Top gear, 3rd rock, family guy, house to name a few lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I only watch Murder She Wrote or Diagnosis murder on TV, because I can't bring myself to download either of them. Anything else, I download.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sky+ anything I want to watch, I don't think I've watched anything on 'live' TV in a very long time. I would watch even more online if I didn't have a data limit on my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah i watch a fair bit. I'm one of these people who watch crap just for the sake of it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Sometimes. i might not watch anything for weeks but then I'll discover some show like Breaking Bad and watch it for 6 hours at a time until I've seen every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I only watch a few shows on tv.. mainly documentaries and the likes of QI and HIGNFY. Download shows when they air in the US.. I've a Sky subscription but can't be bothered waiting for stuff like Fringe to air here before I watch it.. too many spoilers on the internet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The older I get, the less I watch - or really, I watch mush less trash like never-ending, depressing, fighting, trivial soaps and suck like.
    I find 90% of whats on Tv pure trash.
    I've very selective in watching night items and then when they are over or nothing in on inbetween, I turn off the TV.

I can't be arsed with fodder for the brain dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Its great when you discover a great new show, or old one, that you havent seen at all. Thats what happened with The Wire for me. Didnt know about it until it had finished , then I was able to watch the whole 5 series on dvd........ brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I have a TV in my room that i only use for playing games on - i watch about 3 or 4 shows online and buy the occasional boxset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Too many ads. So I dont watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont watch tv at all except for downloading a few shows (Boardwalk Empire ftw) moved into my current house last Jan, never got in tv stations as it was a choice between that or broadband at the time as couldnt afford both, havent watched any tv in 10 months, and I dont miss it a bit. Means I can avoid getting into discussions about X Factor

I am of the opinion that most of whats on TV is made for women in general, Soaps, Reality TV etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

My TV died several months ago and I have not replaced it, best decision I've made in a long time. Anything I want to watch, I can get online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I usually just get boxsets; any of the TV shows at the moment that I like (30 Rock, Mad Men, True Blood) I usually get them on DVD (if I have the money at the time.)

Soaps/reality TV don't really interest me, though I do like the UK version of the Apprentice and occasionally watch the X Factor if it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i havent owned a tv in 3-4 years

i download the odd tvshow (family guy, big bang theory, sometimes top gear, and the odd movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

No TV and no beer make homer something something................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rarely, I cut off my cable telly recently. I might watch a total of maybe 2-3 hours a week. I could get the latest TV shows and whatever films I want at my library but don't follow any shows so doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The internet killed television.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I don't really watch much tv anymore. The only things I do watch, I do so online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I watch some reality: X factor, Apprentice

I watch one soap: Corrie - it's a family institution and one I can't break free of. At least I only watch one soap though, that should be allowed :p

Watch the odd movie on Sky Movies but probably not worth for what I'm paying each month.

Zero sport. My husband hates sport thankfully

Our big thing is boxsets, and like a pp said it's great to discover a series you love AFTER it's aired. Bought the West Wing recently and am watching that like a maniac - absolutely brilliant show, no ads, watch it when we want, re watch and episode if we want... did the same with Sopranos and The Wire. I plan on watching The Wire again over winter, can't wait, I've heard it's even better 2nd time round

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I watch programmes more than watch tv... like fringe caprica maybe some xfactor etc

...Bought the West Wing recently and am watching that like a maniac - absolutely brilliant show...
    Best show ever written, thought out, acted and entertaining.
    Its an education in itself for those that hate dumbed down rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Skyplus most stuff and watch it at a later time. The Irish channels are bad enough with ads, but the satelite stuff is a pure joke. Program starts, 7 minutes later comes a 5 minute ad break. Then theres 3 more breaks in that hour. No thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Watch a lot of t.v:cool:

The BBC Sherlock mini series was fantastic
    Drama for the thinking man , rare enough these days

The BBC Sherlock mini series was fantastic
    Drama for the thinking man , rare enough these days
    ...As was Spartacus - but the main actor is not returning for a second series. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Pretty much all I do is watch TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Agricola wrote: »
    Skyplus most stuff and watch it at a later time. The Irish channels are bad enough with ads, but the satelite stuff is a pure joke. Program starts, 7 minutes later comes a 5 minute ad break. Then theres 3 more breaks in that hour. No thanks.
    +1 they killed the golden goose with the amount of ads they show. If I hear about a programme that sounds interesting I watch an episode or two online, and then when the DVD boxset comes out I buy it.
    TV as we know it is a dead duck, we are going to see the internet really take over in a few years with websites acting as TV "channels". You pay for what shows you want to watch and won't have to suffer through the crap thats polluting the airwaves nowadays.

• Advertisement

+1 they killed the golden goose with the amount of ads they show. If I hear about a programme that sounds interesting I watch an episode or two online, and then when the DVD boxset comes out I buy it.
    TV as we know it is a dead duck, we are going to see the internet really take over in a few years with websites acting as TV "channels". You pay for what shows you want to watch and won't have to suffer through the crap thats polluting the airwaves nowadays.

Only problem is thay will find a way to get the ads into the internet channels too. Google are already doing it with Youtube, a lot more ads than there used to be

Advertisement