Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US to Issues Terror Threat Warning to Americans in Europe

Options
  • 03-10-2010 12:53pm

Anyone heard about this?
    The US government is to warn its citizens to stay away from high-profile sites in Europe amid renewed fears over al-Qaida terrorist attacks, reports said today.

US and UK officials are understood to have been in contact over the possibility of a broad alert being issued, possibly as early as today, with significant implications for tourism across Europe.

High-profile tourist sites and transport hubs are expected to be highlighted as potential targets for an attack.

However, reports suggested the warning was likely to be vague and urged people to be cautious rather than cancelling their travel plans altogether.

A senior US state department official said: "We are considering issuing an alert [today]. The bottom line is travel, but be vigilant."

PJ Crowley, a state department spokesman, would not comment on specific threats, but said the US remained focused on al-Qaida threats to US interests and would take appropriate steps to protect Americans.

The warning comes a week after intelligence officials in Britain intercepted a credible Islamist-linked terror plot.

The attack would reportedly have been similar to the deadly commando-style raids in Mumbai, India, two years ago, with cities in France and Germany also targeted.

On Tuesday, the Eiffel Tower, in Paris, was evacuated following a bomb threat called in from a telephone box – the second such alert at the landmark in two weeks. A search by bomb experts found nothing unusual, and the tower was reopened within hours.

There has been speculation that Osama bin Laden could be masterminding the latest plots personally.

On Friday, Sweden announced it had raised its alert alert to the highest status ever because of an increased threat of terror attacks.

A Home Office spokeswoman confirmed that the UK's terror threat rating remained at "severe", the second highest rating, where it has been since being increased from "substantial" in January.

There has been an upsurge in US drone raids in Pakistan in recent weeks as Nato targets Islamist militants. The US has carried out at least 25 drone strikes in Pakistan's tribal areas so far this month – the highest monthly total for the past six years, US media reported.

US officials have been pushing Pakistan to increase its search for al-Qaida militants, who are believed to be hiding in a mountainous border region in the country.

Source: The Guardian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I really hate this crap. What are the odds of actually being caught in a terrorist attack in a modern country? If you go through life being fearful of this you wont experience everything it has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

RMD wrote: »
    I really hate this crap. What are the odds of actually being caught in a terrorist attack in a modern country? If you go through life being fearful of this you wont experience everything it has to offer.

I hate it too, but maybe the attacks (if they are even imminent or likely) are to be targetted at places where US tourists frequent in EU cpaitals.
    I'm always aware when abroad that my style of dress and appearance may make me look "american" and might well stick out as a target to someone of a fundamental anti-western persuasion.
    It doesn't stop me travelling though...

"but be vigilant"

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's a holy terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Saw this during the week. You cant go through life being worried about these nutcases, if it happens it happens, nothing any of us can do to stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Oooh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If only they could stay away, period...

biko wrote: »
    If only they could stay away, period...

To be fair, biko, everybody hates American tourists but, unfortunately, they bring a lot of money into some country's economies, so for them to stay away would greatly damage these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Europe-Travel-Warning-US-State-Department-Warns-Of-Terror-Attack-Threat/Article/201010115750223?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15750223_Europe_Travel_Warning%3A_US_State_Department_Warns_Of_Terror_Attack_Threat

From A Sunday Times report this morning:
    Officials say there may be as many as 20 British-born jihadists training at militant camps in north Waziristan, on the Pakistan-Afghan border. Some are being trained to carry out simultaneous attacks using machine-guns and grenades on soft targets such as hotels and restaurants.

MI5 believes that the plot has not been thwarted.

Full Report: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg

Site: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article409528.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

RMD wrote: »

Yes but if they say nothing and Americans do die in a terrorist attack in Europe; then their relatives (and plenty of people on this forum) will say "why weren't they warned, our relatives weren't aware of a threat, how come the intelligence services didn't know this was going to happen," etc. The Americans are just covering their own asses. The same reason there was such a big fuss over Swine Flu; there was no conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

To be fair, biko, everybody hates American tourists but, unfortunately, they bring a lot of money into some country's economies, so for them to stay away would greatly damage these.

:confused:
    Speak for yourself there! I find most of them to be entusiastic, friendly, interested and respectful. There are a few idiots, sure, but i'm told there are one or two Irish idiots too, especially when abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

*Yawn* Guess it's that time of the month again.......

On a completely 100% unrelated note, I hear Florida is a wonderful place for a family vacation this time of the year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

To be fair, biko, everybody hates American tourists.

Oh yeah because Racism is ok as long as its against white people.

How many have you actually met? I haven't found them any better or worse than European tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Oh yeah because Racism is ok as long as its against white people.

American is a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Its so funny how they warn them to be vigilant in public places!

Are they telling them to look out for someone that looks middle eastern and avoid them at all costs because they might have a bomb?
    Get the next train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm always aware when abroad that my style of dress and appearance may make me look "american" and might well stick out as a target to someone of a fundamental anti-western persuasion.
    It doesn't stop me travelling though...

Dress like a skanger, its distinctively Irish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm upgrading my terror alert from red and yellow to a flashing red danger sign because there's an alien monster under my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The US government is to warn its citizens to stay away from high-profile sites in Europe amid renewed fears over McDougal terrorist attacks, reports said today.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So...they're afraid of a bomb going off in high density travel locations, such as airports, train stations, bus depots etc.

What exactly will being "vigilant" achieve?

Bob: Mary, I say I think my spidey sense is tingling.
    Mary: Me too bob, me too.
    Bob: Get down!
    *bomb goes off*
    Mary: Thank the Lord that the gov'ment warned us to be vigilant!
    Bob: If the alert status had been a mere yellow rather than a slightly more alarming amber we'd both be dead!

Keep 'em scared and they'll do anything you tell them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Things are very serious, they think they could be serious terror attacks in Europe in the next few weeks:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DingChavez wrote: »
    American is a race?

Taxonomically, yes. Yes it is.

Advertisement