Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite TV via PC

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hey all! I think I saw a few threads related to this matter previously but couldnt find them after a quick search.

I'm looking into getting a new TV card so I can watch and record satellite TV on my PC. I also want to be able to receive FTA HD channels such as BBC HD. Does this make a difference to the card I would need to buy? For example, whats the difference between DVB-S and DVB-S2??

I'm preferably looking for one cheap as possible. If anyone could shed some light and give me some info, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need an DVB-S2 for all channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

There are plenty of PC cards out there but the most reliable one I've used is the Hauppauge Nova-S2 card. I have two of these sitting in my HTPC and they work well.

I addition I strongly recommend a seperate graphics card. I use the Radeon HD 4300 and it really makes a difference to the picture quality.

Nova S2 may be a Technotrend. They make for many brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

rlogue wrote: »
    There are plenty of PC cards out there but the most reliable one I've used is the Hauppauge Nova-S2 card. I have two of these sitting in my HTPC and they work well.

I addition I strongly recommend a seperate graphics card. I use the Radeon HD 4300 and it really makes a difference to the picture quality.
    i wholeheartedly recommend the Hauppauge Nova-S2 card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Can you get BBC HD on a Nova S2 card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Can you get BBC HD on a Nova S2 card?

Yes, BBC HD will also come in on a DVB-S card.

For now. But for continued reception a DVB-S2 is a good idea. About €45 for a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

You should probably be looking at Black Gold BGT3595 which is discussed over here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950548 on the HTPC & Media Centre forum. This is probably a pricey option but probably well worth it.

I have a Technotrend s2-3200 and I frequently regret the purchase. Poor driver support, poor customer support and the company seems to have been swallowed up my another company uninterested in the PC card end of the business. I can only recommend that you don't buy a Technotrend! I can only get it to work with media centre on windows 7 because of technotrends appalling beta only drivers and even then every time I restart the machine I have to perform a few tricks to get it to work.

However - I can recommend Media centre and it works fantastically for mixing different tuners I have one analogue one analogue/DTT and one DVB-S (all be it dodgy) tuner and apart from the dvb-s driver issue mentioned media centre performs smoothly, records pauses live tv etc etc.

Outside of that you may want to consider a Pinnacle 7010i which is cheaper but apparently very reliable and effective. The hauppauge cards (nova etc) both these apparently have good drivers support.

While I don't think many (any?) Astra channels use dvb-s2 (certainly the popular 28.2 channels are not) it's probably (maybe) something worth having for the future.

One final note - it is apparently possible to get sky channels via dvb-s on your pc but you need to be much more fussy about which card you buy and you will need an additional bit of hardware (card reader) - however that's a whole other matter (and in fact it may breach your terms and conditions).

The Happauge "Novas" are technotrend.
    The Technisat cards made by Technotrend.

There are various drivers for the S2-3200 which I think was an earlier design than the Nova-S2
    I have a pair on Prog DVB. The Native Technotrend viewing app is horrid and requires a DVD Viewer application (included) for Codecs (which were not good). I'm using other codecs (Core AVC ) now via ProgDVB.

The Nova-S2 is definitely DVB-S2 compatible so you are fairly future proofed as far as Freesat goes.

• Advertisement

kdobey wrote: »
    One final note - it is apparently possible to get sky channels via dvb-s on your pc but you need to be much more fussy about which card you buy and you will need an additional bit of hardware (card reader) - however that's a whole other matter (and in fact it may breach your terms and conditions).

I dont think we can discuss how its done here at all.

If you are using an Actual Sky card, to receive the actual channels you paid for, that's legal under Irish Law. But it may breach Sky T&C.

Also not for faint hearted to get working.

Best not to go there as rlogue says lest the Mods lock the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

watty wrote: »
    For now. But for continued reception a DVB-S2 is a good idea. About €45 for a good one?

Thanks for the replies. :)
    Is there any decent cheap ones available? I might go for the Hauppage one mentioned but wouldn't mind shopping around for something a little cheaper if possible, dont want to sacrifice quality too much. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Don't forget MediaPortal, very decent alternative to Windows Media Centre - http://www.team-mediaportal.com/features.html

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Just an update on my ventures.....Picked up the Hauppage NOVA-S2 card this evening in PC World, installed and running now. :)
    Saw the card priced at 109.99 on the shelf, decided to get it anyways and when it scanned at the register I got it got 89.95.
    Maybe the remaining stock will scan like this too?? So if anyone fancies giving it a try, it was PC World in Carrickmines. ;)

Advertisement