Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security monitored alarm

Options
  • 02-10-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone help. I am looking for an answer to what must be a common problem. I have a monitored alarm. It is wonderful, the company rings me every time to say the alarm has gone off. So out I go to discover that a luck less bird has flown into one of our windows. Or the post man has tried to ram a catalogue through the letter box. So my question is there a system out there that tells me what is going on at home with out having to go to see for my self or call out the Garda.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Can anyone help. I am looking for an answer to what must be a common problem. I have a monitored alarm. It is wonderful, the company rings me every time to say the alarm has gone off. So out I go to discover that a luck less bird has flown into one of our windows. Or the post man has tried to ram a catalogue through the letter box. So my question is there a system out there that tells me what is going on at home with out having to go to see for my self or call out the Garda.
    Many thanks

What alarm system have you installed ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It depends on how much you want to spend to achieve this.The Signet 220 will give you remote access via any web browser, you can disarm the system view open zones, check the log of any individual zones, isolate if necessary and re arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hong Kong Phooey

Hi Altor
    The system is a HKC unit.
    Hi Koolkid
    Sounds like a mighty system. However, how do I know if it is a genuine alarm or a false alarm. Out of interest what would it cost for a standard 4 bed semi-detached
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi Altor
    The system is a HKC unit.

Hi Hong Kong Phooey,

If the HKC you have installed is a 8/12 there might be a text modem card installed on the system already as your monitored. Depending on the way the zones are set up on the system you will get a detailed text to tell you what has activated. It is just a mater of deleting the monitoring stations numbers and entering yours in to activated the text feature. You will need engineer access to do this. It can text up to 17 people should there be an alarm activation. You would need your service provider to be Eircom or vodafone for this to work.

If you wanted remote access to this panel for arming/disarming plus alarm activations you could install a HKC GSM.

If it is a 6/10 you could always install a dialer that can be triggered off the external bell or outputs off the panel to give you the notification by voice or text.

If the alarm is going off for no reason you could have a faulty sensor or sensors on the system. Only a complete service will tell you this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Koolkid
    Sounds like a mighty system. However, how do I know if it is a genuine alarm or a false alarm. Out of interest what would it cost for a standard 4 bed semi-detached
    All the best

Do you have any PiRs around the house?
    You could set up PiRs as a form of alarm verification.
    eg Lounge window activates , if this is followed by a PiR activation or a door opening etc you can be sure someone is in the house.
    Upgrading to a SigNet 220 would cost around €800-€1000 incl wireless reciever, digi 1 keypad & network adapters etc. These would be rough installation prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement