Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire on pay as you go

Options
  • 02-10-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi, after reading up and procrastinating about getting a new phone for aeons I've finally decided to go for the Desire. I'm currently on bill pay with Vodafone, and I plan to buy a Desire from eBay or somewhere else online and switch to pay as you go. Is this a good idea? What I'd like to know is:

- Where's the best place to buy a SIM free Desire?
    - Are there any issues switching from bill pay to PAYG on Vodafone?
    - What are the charges for using data on PAYG, and is there a bundle or deal available similar to the 10 euro per month bill pay ones?
    - Is the HD Desire worth waiting/paying extra for?
    - Do all new Desires now come with version 2.2?
    - Is there anything to watch out for if I buy a Desire from eBay in the UK?

TIA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What are the charges for using data on PAYG

Extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

You're looking at 99c per 50mb a day, which is not really good value because even if you use 1mb it still costs 99c. I'm with vodafone bill, have 2gb data add on and its good for roaming as well. There isn't any bundle on PAYG.

Desire HD has no HDMI out which is the one thing I want so I'm sticking with my Desire, can't recommend it enough, but would recommend buying an extra charger and car charger and a spare battery if you travel alot.

I'd be inclined to stay on bill if I were you, mine is 45 a month and I get 300 minutes and 300 texts. My minutes usually run tight but I'd have 200 texts left..

Friend got a Desire two weeks ago on 2.2 and my dad got a replacement one also running 2.2 so I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

i just signed up to broadband at home so im gonna switch my phone to ready to go. im looking at tesco mobile. its on the o2 network so should be grand, its €3 for 350mb that lasts for seven days but if you top up by €10 you get another €10 free 20 & 20 and so on. So it would only cost max 20 per month to keep you in data and still have plenty of calls and texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i use my htc desire on vodafone payg. i activated the 360 pricing. that's 39c a day for up to 100 meg of usage. i also topup 30 a month. this gives me unlimited any network texts and 250meg of data. then i have 30 left to spend on calls or whatever.

once my 250meg is used up it reverts to 360 pricing.

it's hard to spend over the 30 / month with this option and it's the best option i've been able to find for myself and the desire on prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Sounds like a good plan Random. Can't find any mention of the data tarrifs you mention, on the vodafone site, can you provide a link??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Random where did you buy the phone, was it on eBay or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Random wrote: »
    i use my htc desire on vodafone payg. i activated the 360 pricing. that's 39c a day for up to 100 meg of usage. i also topup 30 a month. this gives me unlimited any network texts and 250meg of data. then i have 30 left to spend on calls or whatever.

once my 250meg is used up it reverts to 360 pricing.

it's hard to spend over the 30 / month with this option and it's the best option i've been able to find for myself and the desire on prepay.

Interesting. I do see the options you are talking about, but I am a little confused about the 360 price. One could interpret the plan details as paying 39c per day regardless of usage, which would suggest there's no point in having the 250Mb part? Are you avoiding the 39c charge until your 250Mb is gone? That seems to be what you are saying so sorry for questioning!

you pay only up to €12.09 per month (based on 31 day month), deducted from your pay as you go credit balance in equal amounts each day

Actually on reflection it sort of makes sense, but it's a model/plan choice that would not be obvious to many customers. And when you pay 30 you really get 36? So I guess you build up a balance.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@some randomer - i got it from a friend. mate of mine ordered off pixmania (took him a month to get it) but cost him about 400 or so i think. it's around that price on prepay too i believe.

@ixtlan - 360 pricing is the same as the 99c pricing except that it's 39c. vodafone have done their very best to confuse you. just make sure you topup a min of 20/mth and use the 360 service every 4 wks or so on your phone (just connect to it) to keep it active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Eventually found the offer page, was going round in circles on that site for ages..:rolleyes:

Looks like if you switch to vadafone PAYG from another network, as long as you top up with a minimum of €20 a month you get an additional €10 free credit a month for the first 12 months....so thats gonna be €40 a month credit...i assume you can carry what you don't use??
    * Get a pay as you go SIM with your own number
    * For customers joining us from another network

* You must register within 60 days of using your phone for the first time. After initial registration, you must top up by €20 or more in one go every 30 days to receive each of your €10 stage credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Random wrote: »

@ixtlan - 360 pricing is the same as the 99c pricing except that it's 39c. vodafone have done their very best to confuse you. just make sure you topup a min of 20/mth and use the 360 service every 4 wks or so on your phone (just connect to it) to keep it active.

So, if by me just visiting the 360 service website, am I signing up the data plan?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement