Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing nursing as a mature student?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Hi im the same hoping to apply as a mature student next year , was talking to a student nurse today in Beaumount it took her 3 years to get in .. im hoping its not that hard for everyone. if you get anymore info let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Hey, I'm 27 and a mature student on a year out from studying Psychiatric Nursing, all 3 disciplines are pretty much the same with 1 or 2 modules a year being different...

Ask whatever you want and I'll hopefully get back to ye asap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Guessing most of what you may want to know...

Applications are done through the CAO as far as I recall.

You go to Cork for an Aptitude test (Comprising of Comparison (Cloth is to a shirt as what is to a cup etc), Comprehension (Meaning of words) and Maths (Mainly 8 sided shapes with an inner and outer section, the inner section may go up in steps of 5 e.g. 1,6,11,16 etc and the outside would be missing a few, you have to see the link and fill in the gaps))

Should you meet their minimum score, you get brought to Cork again for an interview. The interview is basically just a yes/no verdict. No points to be got here...

If you got a yes, your now into the points race for a place. This years minimum was something like 160 points from the aptitude test, I personally got 199 my year so reckon its easy enough to get in if you put some work in for the aptitude test.

College: WIT hold their courses in the Nursing Building located on WIT's main campus. Its advisable to find out exactly when initiation is as they normally do some of the mandatory things like first aid on the day and you would need to do it later on in the year if you missed out.

Classes are split between 3 sections that are supposed to follow a logical order but they are in the process of changing it so my info may not be relevant. You have Labs for practical stuff, Theory classes (Think lecture halls), and smaller class interaction. All 3 do the same material in different ways, use the Lecture to take notes, the interaction class to discuss anything and the labs to do it... You can of course ask questions in lectures and take notes in anything, but you get the picture :)

It would be a good idea to start looking over some of the human body systems in detail if you have time on your hands, it will prove invaluable in the long run as knowing enough before class makes it a lot easier to sink in.

As far as I know, this year is the first year where modules can carry marks to other modules. I'm not fully sure on it, but basically if you failed by 5% in my time then doing great in other modules could not save you. This year it can, if I picked it up correctly.

Anything else you may want to know should be covered on the CAO and WIT websites I guess?

Advertisement