Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Far from Kiltartans Poor He Died"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

May I ask what impression were ye provided with of Yeats's Major Gregory poems at school?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

May I ask what impression were ye provided with of Yeats's Major Gregory poems at school?

We were given a neutral impression of him in school, we got the imprssion he was like Lady Gregory, they certainly kept schtum about him being an imperialist / bigot whatever...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

...and his bad character flaws were?

Manach wrote: »
    ...and his bad character flaws were?

Well apart from being a rampant loyalist / imperialist of the croppy lie down variety... as an Irishman I couldn't fault him on much!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Well apart from being a rampant loyalist / imperialist of the croppy lie down variety... as an Irishman I couldn't fault him on much!!!

Despite this boorish pigeon holing, it doesn't stand up. Yeats was a member of the Young Irish society, where he met and befriended the old Fenian John O'Leary, Maud Gonne and the Gaelic League league leader Douglas Hyde amongst others. He was 'nationalist' in the romantic sense. He also believed in a quasi fascist aristocratic 'new order', not exactly unusual in its time, but definately shaped by his strange religious beliefs.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    Despite this boorish pigeon holing, it doesn't stand up. Yeats was a member of the Young Irish society, where he met and befriended the old Fenian John O'Leary, Maud Gonne and the Gaelic League league leader Douglas Hyde amongst others. He was 'nationalist' in the romantic sense. He also believed in a quasi fascist aristocratic 'new order', not exactly unusual in its time, but definately shaped by his strange religious beliefs.

Its Major Gregory who was the loyalist... not Yeats. Im aware of his fascist leanings (see my poem below on same). The angle of how he was celebrated as dying far from Kiltartans poor iswhat inspired the poem... he thought nothing (Gregory) of Kiltartans poor, and the Germans he faught were no more the enemy of the poor of Kiltartan than Gregory himself.

Sorry for any confusion that meant some thought I was calling Yeats a loyalist. No, its Gregory, subject of the poem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Its Major Gregory who was the loyalist... not Yeats. Im aware of his fascist leanings (see my poem below on same). The angle of how he was celebrated as dying far from Kiltartans poor iswhat inspired the poem... he thought nothing (Gregory) of Kiltartans poor, and the Germans he faught were no more the enemy of the poor of Kiltartan than Gregory himself.

Why are you making the assumption that Major Gregory cared nothing for the poor? Why are you making the assumption that loyalist men and women cared nothing for the poor? Lady Gregory, a loyalist, was a patron of the Gaelic League and in most relevant ways, a 'cultural nationalist'.

I really hate this 'us or them' reading of our history. Its never as simple as that and you offend history with such simplicity of argument. For example, do you think the great Victorian reformer and Irish Unionist Sir Horace Plunkett didn't care for the poor?

Advertisement