Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thickness of concrete for garage floor?

Options
  • 02-10-2010 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

What thickness is ok for a concrete floor in a basic block garage?

Garage/Floor would ony be used for the purpose of storing a car and basic diy tools.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

paddy147 wrote: »
    What thickness is ok for a concrete floor in a basic block garage?

Garage/Floor would ony be used for the purpose of storing a car and basic diy tools.

Thanks.:)

I put 4 inches in mine, but I don't think it was enough. There are a few small cracks in it. I also paid extra for to get the fibres put into the mix to give it extra strength. House floor was poured on the same day and there were no cracks. Maybe I should have put steel into it too. Mine has a water storage tank in the corner which is almost 2 ton in weight - that could be a cause of some of the cracks. They're not major and won't affect the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Standard slab should be fine. TG Document A gives the minimum thickness of a slab, see Dept of Enviro website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 minark

Ideally <SNIP> but you would get away with <SNIP>. I would not let it go any lower than this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Regarding the floor structure, we can discuss your floor in this context, but we can not advise on what thickness to use as that is a specific structural spec., and as such is against the charter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can someone just simply tell me what thickness of floor I need for my garage.

Im not building some huge monster of a building,its a basic and simple block garage in my back garden,for storing garden tools and diy tools.

4 inches.6 inches????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dispite being told, you ask someone to break the charter. Yours is a specific design question regarding the structure of a floor. Take 10 days to reflect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement