Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slatterys meglomaniac manager

Options
  • 02-10-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Right guys I'm gonna throw this out there. I know it's been discussed her before for obvious reasons but I've just had my latest experience with my favourite meglomaniac manager from Slats.
    So I arrive with a buddy at about one o'clock, door open nobody behind the bar. Having waited enough time to consider pouring my own pint our favourite <name snipped> appeared from upstairs. At this point he informed us he will open when he is ready! Well excuse me!!!
    After pulling pints he dissapeared upstairs again requesting that we allow entry to any Ryder cup golf fans. Fair enough I thought!
    By the end of a Guinness we had about 10 fellow patrons equally thirsty and bemused by the lact of staff.
    Meanwhile our favourite manager was preoccupied with shouting at staff to hang bunting in the lashings of rain. Poor <name snipped> :(
    Europe are making a comeback when you know who decides to bring in one of the windbreaker glass screens in from the rain.
    Upon placing it in front of the TV for no apparent reason other than to block all our views we enquired as to why.
    After his response which was "it's match day" (still 6 hours to kickoff!) with expletitives he proceeded to take our second round back off us. Refunds followed by his obsenities in front of all hastened our exit.
    Is it not time for a manager devoid of any customer appreciation to hand back our favouite bar? Can the real Mr.Slattery please stand up!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

That's pretty ****ing shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Was this Slatts in Rathmines, Capel St. or Grand Canal St. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

That is more than just poor service. That bloke actually sounds like he has mental problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm happy to allow this thread stand, but I've snipped names out of the OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 slatterysd4

Hi!

I am that Manager you so despise and I hope you don't mind me telling my side of the story.

It was the morning of the Leinster v Munster (Magners league) game. The First real Rugby game in the Aviva - I came in early as I like to get a head start and allow the other staff to recover from the Friday night. It was also the 2nd day (Morning session) of the Ryder Cup.

I was on my own and normally we don't open until about 1pm on big days when there is a lot of preparation to be done. However I had the golf on all 3 outside screens including sound.

I had an issue with a screen upstairs - in fact it had fallen off the wall and I was actually in a bit of bother. I went down stairs and saw two guys standing at the bar. The pub was closed - all doors were closed but they came in, all chairs were up - there was nothing open about the pub. I got a fright that they were in the pub so I said were weren't open and asked them to leave - I did not know these guys by the way.

I am a lover of sport so as I ushered them out I had a second thought and told them that they could watch inside but I had to close the doors. They thanked me for this and as I served them I told them I was having a problem with a screen upstairs and had to fix it.

About 20 min later - now about 1.10pm I came downstairs and opened the pub fully. We all watched the Ryder Cup and I served and chatted to these two guys as well as all other customers.

It was now about 2.30 and 3 hours to kick off - so I am in full flow of preparation - I put on and tested all 13 screens - yes 13. These two lads were sitting in center of the pub with backs to the middle window. I even had the projector screen on. From their vantage point they had a view of 3 screens and could move to 10 other locations.

On big match days we bring in a glass barrier and position it near the door - it allows floor staff to get quick access to the bar. although it is glass - when in front of the TV it does obstruct the TV - we don't normally have that TV on. But as I said there were 2 other screens the lads could look at - all they had to do was turn their heads 90 degrees.

As I served them again - walking over to their table with the two pints - they asked me to move the barrier - I explained that I was preparing for the Leinster v Munster - they quipped that it was not on until later on - I explained that I was going through our normal match day set up and I cant risk leaving that till later as people may be in that area or pub too full. They then began telling me that I put the screen there on purpose to piss them off. Well this was interesting because I had allowed them in to watch the golf when pub was closed - carried pints to their table and enjoyed the banter with them all morning - and they had 13 other screens to look at. approximately 8 other customers where enjoying the Ryder Cup and had no problem with the barrier and had not been waiting as I served them all as they came in. The two lads just wanted to have an argument and I felt maybe it was the drink talking. As you can see - they mentioned a second round - it was at least a fourth.

I regarded their attitude as disruptive to the general ambiance of the pub and the enjoyment of other customers. I gave their money back for last order and asked them to leave. They called me a few names and left.

95% of a pubs success is due to its customers. We are really careful in our selection.

Alex

• Advertisement
Advertisement