Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silliest things you have witnessed on Irish roads?

Options
  • 02-10-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Driving along a secondary road there a while ago. Up ahead of me, on the other side of the road, I spot a car pulled in & loads of cars behind it with their hazard lights on.
    Assuming there has been some kind of crash I slow down a good bit. Instead I see a woman in a Ford Focus pulled up on the road chatting on her mobile. Now there's no verge of any description to pull into so she was just sitting there in her car having a nice chat on the phone while about 15 or 20 cars are pulled up behind her wondering what the fcuk is going on.
    To make matters worse the last in the line of cars was just after a blind bend & the speed limit on the road is 100kph. So myself & other drivers had to flash our lights like mad to warn oncoming cars to slow down because there was a nutjob waiting to cause a pile up.

Blood is at boiling point :mad:

And no, I didn't get the reg to ring it in :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

A woman driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A man driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A dog driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not a road as much as a footpath.

that looked really silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

A car driving a dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Edit: Damn. Nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Driving along a secondary road there a while ago. Up ahead of me, on the other side of the road, I spot a car pulled in & loads of cars behind it with their hazard lights on.
    Assuming there has been some kind of crash I slow down a good bit. Instead I see a woman in a Ford Focus pulled up on the road chatting on her mobile. Now there's no verge of any description to pull into so she was just sitting there in her car having a nice chat on the phone while about 15 or 20 cars are pulled up behind her wondering what the fcuk is going on.
    To make matters worse the last in the line of cars was just after a blind bend & the speed limit on the road is 100kph. So myself & other drivers had to flash our lights like mad to warn oncoming cars to slow down because there was a nutjob waiting to cause a pile up.

Blood is at boiling point :mad:

And no, I didn't get the reg to ring it in :mad:
    The limit is 80km/h on a secondary road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

People driving along with one broken headlight
    People switching lanes without using indicators
    People tailgating and having to sporadically brake because they're so far up the other car's behind
    People with no speed pulling out in front of someone going at speed on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Tourist driving into a parked car in town. She didn't just clip it either, she almost drove up onto the fookin bonnet of the other car :pac:!

Someone parking on the side of the road only to rip the front of the car off because they didn't notice the road bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

On a motorway, a car pull into the hard shoulder to let a tractor behind him overtake him.
    Wrong on so many levels!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Some of the election/referendum posters have been pretty silly.

I not convinced that these are a major improvement to road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

A trolley fell out of the back of van when I was cycling along behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If you think that is bad OP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3tDi5obLok
    Other than that, out of my own experiences;

The MIL;
    going 40 on a motorway.
    going onto a roundabout taking both lanes and not indicating so cars nearly go through her.
    going into traffic islands and then annoyed when cars she is blocking are hooting horns at her.

The woman is a menace to society!!!!

Also a few times I have been going to my local Tescos and a guy on a red motorbike is doing massive wheelies in an area near schools!!! I am convinced he is going to kill an innocent person some day. I don't care if he kills himself!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tombiman wrote: »
    A woman driver.

lol omg wuzznt expecting dat, so funny...
    phasers wrote: »
    A man driver.

So true...

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Also a few times I have been going to my local Tescos and a guy on a red motorbike is doing massive wheelies in an area near schools!!! I am convinced he is going to kill an innocent person some day. I don't care if he kills himself!!!!

Have you reported him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Instead I see a woman in a Ford Focus pulled up on the road chatting on her mobile. Now there's no verge of any description to pull into so she was just sitting there in her car having a nice chat on the phone while about 15 or 20 cars are pulled up behind her wondering what the fcuk is going on.

How do you know she hadn't broken down and was calling for assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Have you reported him?

I genuinely want to, but he has his bike at such an angle you cannot see the licence plate. That is how dangerous he is!!!! I can honestly say it is like this > \.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

WindSock wrote: »
    How do you know she hadn't broken down and was calling for assistance?

Because she was smiling & laughing into the phone & just didn't seem to be in any trouble. She just had an indicator on, no hazard lights.

Seriously, this isn't reading too much into a situation. I really think she just pulled up for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Not a road as much as a footpath.

that looked really silly.

:D:DOh, whats worse the hurt or the falling t.v apperence?
    classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

This is the silliest thing I've witnessed on an Irish road. NSFW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was coming out of Sligo one day on the motorway when I spotted this out in full view :D:

Image033.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Nearly had a head-on on the motorbike with some aul one who was going the wrong way around a big two lane roundabout (no traffic lights) over the N3. I had to pretty much dive out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wouldn't know where to start, because I reckon I could probably fill pages of this Thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

people reading books and driving on motorways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Ardara in donegal where people just abandon their cars in the middle of the road and wander into a shop.
    Raphoe also in donegal, i never seen a place like it for people just pulling out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Was getting a lift into town in the morning a few months ago and a van in front of us was all over the road. We pulled up next to the van at the lights and the driver was eating a feckin bowl of cereal!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

This thread is rendered almost redundant by the horrendous standard of driving on Irish roads. I, without fail, encounter someone every day who pulls some kind of idiot move based on their own unique interpretation of the rules of the road.

99% of people either don't indicate on roundabouts or are in the wrong lane on them, it's as if every time they approach one it's the very first time in their lives that they've seen such a outlandish construction. The fact that there are ads on the ****ing national broadcaster to show people how to use a roundabout is rather telling.

Motorways are always good for a laugh with people either driving 90kph in the overtaking lane for their entire journey meaning you have to (illegally mind) undertake them in the left lane. Or you have other fools absolutely hammering along at well over 160kph because they think it's the Autobahn.

About 50% of people i meet coming the other way are either eating or talking on mobile phones. The ban on driving and being on a phone has had zero effect because people are too dumb to pull over for 5 minutes to yak to their friends about some inane ****e. Better to risk your own life and those of the other motorists you encounter.

'Looking with your car' is a one i notice a good bit as well. It's where someone will pull halfway out of a side road/gate/what ever to join a main road rather than staying in until the way is clear. Nope, better to make people swerve to the other side of the road because you needed to be 2 or 3 feet further out even though you had a perfectly good view of oncoming traffic when you were back where you should have been.

Irish people don't park their cars, they dump them.

I could go on but i don't think i'd do my blood pressure any favours.

I have been lucky enough to have seen a lot of the world and in my experience, drivers the world over are the same. Give a human a car and they will do stupid crap.

You think it's bad in Ireland, try driving in some Asian cities or even Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

A woman who nearly pulled out in front of me on a roundabout even tho i was signalling correctly.

That and a man cycling the wrong way up a narrow one way street in Dublin, nearly killed him.

I hate cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

well.... there I was driving on this secondary road when my mobile phone rang.

As a law abider i immiediately pulled over and answered the phone in case of an emergency when this driver driving in the opposite direction to me............................. and so on

Advertisement