Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information needed- Hardcore/rubble

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Right iam in need of some photo's or information on what happens if you use building rubble instead of hardcore stone in the construction of a in situ concrete floor.
    Iam a bricklayer myself and my parents are building a house soon enough and my father is a bit of a idiot when it comes to construction and will not listen!
    I went down to their site this morning and found at least 15ton of building of waste, mostly blocks and other hard masonary waste dumped on site:eek:.
    I was shocked at the amount of crap that was there and rang my mother and asked her what was going on. She told me my father got that dumped there from work, he works at a skip hire, to use as hardcore for the building:eek:! I then rang him up and told him he is wasting time and more to the point littering the site and he was like ''yeah but its for free"
    No, still didnt listen!
    I know myself the dangers of this being used but if anyone has some text info or photos of what happens when it is used please get back to me before he get another bloody load of this crap.
    Seriously, its like talking to a brick wall:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

From Homebond.
    IMAG0150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Cheers for that. I knew iv seen photos of this before couldnt remenber where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

[deleted]

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Soil Mechanic, I've deleted your post. as imo, its was totally wrong.

firstly, the OP stated that it is intended for use as hardcore. He didn't mention aggregate anywhere.

Secondly, the use of rubble for fill under a house is not acceptable, in any situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mellor wrote: »
    Soil Mechanic, I've deleted your post. as imo, its was totally wrong.

firstly, the OP stated that it is intended for use as hardcore. He didn't mention aggregate anywhere.

Secondly, the use of rubble for fill under a house is not acceptable, in any situation.

This type of fill can certianly have its uses. The OP says 'starting a house soon' so its not a given that the father intends to use this as fill in the floor. That would certainly be unacceptable if it is the case though.
    Depending on the site, there are areas where free fill can be very useful. Base for site acess roads etc depending on what its like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

skipz wrote: »
    if you use building rubble instead of hardcore stone in the construction of a in situ concrete floor.

Surely this specifies what it was to be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mightysurveyor

You could find other risks popping up in the future insofar as no right minded insurance company will pay out for rectifying this work if the floor slab becomes defective. No doubt they will look to take a core out of the slab in a few locations and test the fill underneath.

As the Romans used to say - Caveat emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mickdw wrote: »
    The OP says 'starting a house soon' so its not a given that the father intends to use this as fill in the floor. That would certainly be unacceptable if it is the case though.
    As dos pointed out, the OP clearly stats what the father intended to do with the fill. He was looking for advice as to if this was ok, he knew that it wasn't. That was never an issue.
    As the Romans used to say - Caveat emptor!
    I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

:o Hello Mellor,

Sorry about that, as ever defer to the decision of the Mods.
    Obviously the reply wasn’t clear enough in emphasizing the need for the OP to seek a professional Civil Engineers opinion,
    Which he should do anyway….

I do apologise.

(In my defence though, don’t actually recall giving any advice whatsoever that he should use it structurally??? Must not have been clear enough. Sorry about the aggregate confusion though. Didn’t focus enough on the OP’s immediate request. Rubble is always unacceptable yes, however once its been processed, is RCA still just ‘waste’ rubble? )

That said though:

In practical terms, the OP’s father now has 15 Ton+ of construction waste on his site – what should he do with it?
    Does he automatically pay to get it lifted and dumped –which costs money, for no return whatsoever?

or,

Should he consult a Civil Engineer & a materials testing firm who can give him options about whether or not the inert non-organic waste component -after it has been properly evaluated, tested, crushed, screened & if necessary, treated - can be used elsewhere on his site, thus potentially minimising his financial haulage loss, with potentially some project gain?

Just throwing that out there, once again apologise it wasn’t clear first post round.

Some links for your consideration:
    From home-
    http://aggregain.wrap.org.uk/news/faqs_about.html
    http://www.mineralproducts.org/prod_agg_recy01.htm

From the ‘States-
    http://www.concreterecycling.org/

Advertisement