Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Wildfire or Desire???

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hey lads
    Finally have to bite the bullet & upgrade from my Sony Erriccsson C905 i have narrowed it down to two mobile phone the HTC Wildfire & Desire.
    To me they look to be pretty much the same spec im just wondering whats makes the Desire better.

I can get the Wildfire for 50 euro and the Desire for 100 Euro. Any of you have any experience of either of these phones?

cheers
    TimMac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to android sub-forum.

review them side by side here - http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3337&idPhone2=3077

the major differences that jump out to me are:
    - wildfire lighter and smaller
    - desire screen much higher res
    - desire has about 50% more ram
    - desire processor twice as fast
    - wildfire battery life quoted as being better on paper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i understand that on paper the may look somewhat similar when comparing specs. in reality, the 2 phones really aren't comparable. the wildfire, while i do have a fondness for it's size, is a mid range HTC handset (at best) whereas the desire is the flagship device (until sometime this month at least).

in the hand the main difference you will see is the screen resolution on the wildfire is very, very low - you will see rough pixels a plenty. i would assume there's limited custom rom support for it also; if you were that way inclined. there are so many "plus" points for the desire that this post could become very long. there's loads of desire info available if you do a quick boards/google search.

i do like the wildfire, it does what it's supposed to very effectively but if you can get a desire for €100, it's absolutely well worth it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

No contest.

Pay the extra 50 and get the Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

+1 for the desire best phone I've had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

wernstrom! wrote: »
    No contest.

Pay the extra 50 and get the Desire.
    Pyro Boy wrote: »
    +1 for the desire best phone I've had :)

Desire.

Seriously, no comparison.

You might save €50 for the Wildfire but if your signing up to an 18 month contract, have a phone you know you'll want to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Desire wins hands down, the wildfire is a poor mans desire..! i have the legend and love it but want a desire, ah desire

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

The Desire is awesome. The Wildfire looks nice but go into a shop and compare the screens side by side. Even the quality of the screen is so superior. And it's only 50 over 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Incomparable really. The Wildfire is their lowest end budget phone with a relatively limited spec and terrible screen resolution. The Desire is their current flagship (Until sometime later this month) and is a far superior phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

is the desire still the shiz or is the HD2 even better? I'm looking to buy my first smartphone but want something decent. Is the a new desire out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

HD2 is Windows 6.5, I believe. Not a huge fan of that OS, though Windows 7 isn't too shabby from initial impression. Personally, I'd go for the Desire over the HD2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i got the desire about 2 months ago now as someone said there is always something else around the corner and they are right..
    although the desire hd and and z are coming out very soon now supposedly so maybe its worth holding out for.
    personally i just went for it, 12 month contract hafnt looked back since. lovely phone. battery life is a killer but i got the incar charger and when im away in in my car so its fine. (picked it up for 1.50 on ebay with 1eur delivery :) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

chrislad wrote: »
    HD2 is Windows 6.5, I believe. Not a huge fan of that OS, though Windows 7 isn't too shabby from initial impression. Personally, I'd go for the Desire over the HD2.

IIRC, the HD7 has Windows Mob 7. I *thought* i heard that the HD2 would be upgradeable. Perhaps not.

kenyard wrote: »
    i got the desire about 2 months ago now as someone said there is always something else around the corner and they are right.. although the desire hd and and z are coming out very soon now supposedly so

The HD isn't clearly a better phone than the original Desire. Bigger screen, more ram. Display is good, but just not quite as good as the original.

It's also just on the verge of being slightly unwieldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wernstrom! wrote: »
    IIRC, the HD7 has Windows Mob 7. I *thought* i heard that the HD2 would be upgradeable. Perhaps not.

The HD isn't clearly a better phone than the original Desire. Bigger screen, more ram. Display is good, but just not quite as good as the original.

It's also just on the verge of being slightly unwieldy.

The HD7 definitely has Windows 7, that's from personal experience! I had heard that the HD2 would get an update, but from what I hear, Windows 6.5 and 7 are very, very different so I'm not sure how it would work in terms of transferring user data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The HD solves the screen shortage issue for HTC.

The original desire is HD thanks to the Froyo(2.2) update.

So in that respect they are the same.

It has a little more ram, slightly larger screen(but resolution is still the same) and uprated camera(8mp instead of 5mp).

I'm still happy to stick with my original desire and bar some amazing advance in the latest device, wont be thinking of changing until android 3.0 .

The Desire is twice the phone the Wildfire is.

Advertisement