Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 million spent on connecting the Royal Canal and the Shannon?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

This country gets worse and worse! 30 million has been spent on connecting the Royal Canal to the Shannon. Wouldn't you think there are better things 30 million could be spent on than connecting 2 f*cking rivers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The Royal canal is not a river.

It is restoring a facility that will help tourism, it was done over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One of them is a canal, not a river.

It does seem to bring tourism to the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Min wrote: »
    The Royal canal is not a river.

It is restoring a facility that will help tourism, it was done over a long period of time.

Ok, sorry a canal. Still 30 million at a time when the country is bankrupt. You said it has been done over a long period of time, well we have been in a recession for the past 2 years or so, and 30 million could have been spent alot more wisely in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Ok, sorry a canal. Still 30 million at a time when the country is bankrupt. You said it has been done over a long period of time, well we have been in a recession for the past 2 years or so, and 30 million could have been spent alot more wisely in the current climate

So anything that was started before 2 years ago should be abandoned cos it'll cost money now? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.jstor.org/pss/30101021

The Royal Canel.. by peter clarke...

A great read and proof that there is a fortune to be made in developing the canel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some people knock everything

The Royal Canal is a great amenity and has opportunities for tourism all along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

This has been done over the past 15 years or so.
    Calm down. This is a good thing.

Actually, if memory serves, there were barges dredging the water about 20 years ago.

Local county councils have covered the cost of this in the name of tourism.
    It's not a scandal. It's something worthwhile.

There are fishing spots along the canal here in Kildare. Fish are regularly re-introduced to the waters, and it's all regulated.

That we can once again travel by boat from the West to the East is great for tourism.

I see what you are saying but the cost was spread over three decades, that is what I got from watching the report on the 9 o clock news.
    It seems to work out at an average of €1 million a year was spent on it and they said a lot of voluntary help was also given.

I watched tourism programs and you see canal holidays being promoted elsewhere, we in Ireland now have some great facilities with the Royal canal now fully operational, one could go from Dublin to the Shannon and on upto the Erne waterway.
    I just hope Bord Fáilte promotes it well now.

Millicent wrote: »
    So anything that was started before 2 years ago should be abandoned cos it'll cost money now? Really?

I think that since the recession hit the country 2 years ago or so, that money should be spent extremely wisely than spending money connecting a canal and the river Shannon. Something like that is NOT a priority for the country given the circumstances we are in for the past 2 years. If connecting the canal and the river started over 2 years ago, and when the recession hit, the project SHOULD have been stopped, and the remaining money spent on something useful for the country.
    For example, if 10 million was spent 2 years ago on connecting the canal and the river, couldn't the remainder 20 million have bailed out many people with their mortages, or something else more useful than connecting a canal and a river. Its another ridiculous waste of money at a time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 82,157 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This country gets worse and worse! 30 million has been spent on connecting the Royal Canal to the Shannon. Wouldn't you think there are better things 30 million could be spent on than connecting 2 f*cking rivers?
    Terry wrote: »
    This has been done over the past 15 years or so.
    Calm down. This is a good thing.

Actually, if memory serves, there were barges dredging the water about 20 years ago.

Local county councils have covered the cost of this in the name of tourism.
    It's not a scandal. It's something worthwhile.

There are fishing spots along the canal here in Kildare. Fish are regularly re-introduced to the waters, and it's all regulated.

That we can once again travel by boat from the West to the East is great for tourism.
    Technically you're both wrong. It was already connected, some 200 years ago, costing over a million british pounds. Dare anyone to work that with modern day inflation. In the last 30 years or so, since the 70s [Mr. Terrance :)] It's been getting kept and restored. According to wikipedia, a site which can make any foreigner sound intelligent about a local landmark, it should now be possible to navigate the full length of the canal [again, since it went first into disrepair decades ago] as of September 30th, 2010. Hence the reason for your thread.

I like that canal, it's one of the nicest features in Dublin. And rich businessmen tourists with boats and **** would pay to run through it.
    I think that since the recession hit the country 2 years ago or so, that money should be spent extremely wisely than spending money connecting a canal and the river Shannon. Something like that is NOT a priority for the country given the circumstances we are in for the past 2 years. If connecting the canal and the river started over 2 years ago, and when the recession hit, the project SHOULD have been stopped, and the remaining money spent on something useful for the country.
    For example, if 10 million was spent 2 years ago on connecting the canal and the river, couldn't the remainder 20 million have bailed out many people with their mortages, or something else more useful than connecting a canal and a river. Its another ridiculous waste of money at a time like this
    Thats not exactly how budgetary appropriations work. Once it was signed off on, thats it usually. Only for on-running programs like healthcare or something would the government install within the appropriations bill to have the funds reviewed on a regular basis. Thats how US Congressional Appropriations work, and I'll wager, that's a lot like how Irish appropriations work.

• Advertisement

I just hope Bord Fáilte promotes it well now.

Fáilte Ireland ;) Changed the name a few years back
    Having being in Yorkshire, boating on the canals is promoted heavily.
    Yes, we should do the same

I've hired boats on the Shannon which is quite popular in Ireland and a great way to see the midlands.
    Linking the Royal Canal nows gives tourists another option, maybe they will extend their trip.

As Terry said, there are opportunities for fishing.
    And I'm not sure if there is a good cycle, there should be, that would be great too.

Money well spent here imo

OP, the project was started decades ago, you don't stop two years from completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

go on the canal

It might be nice for fishing or promoting tourism etc, but there is a world recession on at the moment, and coming to Ireland is expensive enough as it is, people do not have the money, and I don't see how this can stimulate the economy in anyway, a chronic waste of money.
    Wouldn't 10 or even 5 million go along way with helping businesses, the unemployed, people with mortages over the past 2 years, than on connecting a canal and a river?

Bailed out people with their mortgages? With tax money? Instead of funding something that might create jobs, that has been spread over 30 years as you have been told?

Just an unrelated question -- are you a fan of Joe Duffy or the Daily Mail by any chance?

It could be seen as bailing out the tourism industry, it is bad enough with ghost estates in this country, we don't want a load of unfinished projects which offer nothing, the project gave employment and will give more employment and that is what we need.
    I would be more concerned if all projects which will help this country were stopped, this will help the country, no point spending €10 million for nothing when you can have something worthwhile with the remainder €20 million completing it.

We need projects like this, this is not electronic voting machines, Ppars or other waste that delivered nothing for this country.
    We have something worthwhile at least with this.

orourkeda wrote: »
    go on the canal

I have been along the canal, and I think people would have alot less stress if they were helped out with their mortages than walking along a canal

• Registered Users Posts: 82,157 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It might be nice for fishing or promoting tourism etc, but there is a world recession on at the moment, and coming to Ireland is expensive enough as it is, people do not have the money, and I don't see how this can stimulate the economy in anyway, a chronic waste of money.
    Wouldn't 10 or even 5 million go along way with helping businesses, the unemployed, people with mortages over the past 2 years, than on connecting a canal and a river?
    Frankly then, thats narrow minded. Again, the total cost of the project has been spread out, and again, you seem to appreciate very little the large sector of the Irish Economy that happens to be Tourism.

You wanted to cut the project off right before completion to bail out a couple companies/homeowners for a few months?? That makes no fiscal sense.

It's a bit like saying $2000 in crop seed is a chronic waste of money. Sure, you could find ways to spend $2k really quickly, but what does it do for you in the long run? You are not factoring in Earnings Potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

This is not a waste of money. It's not as if the money was flushed down the river. This money will at least pay a lot of workers to maintain and prepare the connection. Is it not better to give people stable employment allowing them to pay their mortgage rather than bailing them out. This will also help to attract tourists to the area. Infrastructure projects like this are good for the economy and should not be cut.

Fáilte Ireland ;) Changed the name a few years back
    Having being in Yorkshire, boating on the canals is promoted heavily.
    Yes, we should do the same

I've hired boats on the Shannon which is quite popular in Ireland and a great way to see the midlands.
    Linking the Royal Canal nows gives tourists another option, maybe they will extend their trip.

As Terry said, there are opportunities for fishing.
    And I'm not sure if there is a good cycle, there should be, that would be great too.

Money well spent here imo

OP, the project was started decades ago, you don't stop two years from completion.

lol, thanks for the clarification, maybe I am showing my age :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

Bailed out people with their mortgages? With tax money? Instead of funding something that might create jobs, that has been spread over 30 years as you have been told?

Just an unrelated question -- are you a fan of Joe Duffy or the Daily Mail by any chance?

Thank you for saving me the trouble of going on a rant about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Excuse me, but why the **** should tax money to be used to bail people out of their mortages?

"Oh no! I got this big loan out with no real forethought about the future and now i want out!"

**** off and pay your bills, ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Well you've just been told that the cost of this project was spread over decades, not two years. So I have no idea where you pulled the figures of five or ten million out of.

As other people have already mentioned the pros far outweigh the cons. I think it's a great idea and if marketed correctly could seriously boost tourism. As for suggesting that the money can be used to help people out with their mortgages, well that's just kind of ridiculous and not at all an opinion based in reality I'm afraid.

Overheal wrote: »
    Frankly then, thats narrow minded. Again, the total cost of the project has been spread out, and again, you seem to appreciate very little the large sector of the Irish Economy that happens to be Tourism.

You wanted to cut the project off right before completion to bail out a couple companies/homeowners for a few months?? That makes no fiscal sense.

It's a bit like saying $2000 in crop seed is a chronic waste of money. Sure, you could find ways to spend $2k really quickly, but what does it do for you in the long run? You are not factoring in Earnings Potential.

And how much money in the current climate are people going to spend "Walking" along the canal or fishing? How many jobs can be created by connecting the canal and the river? Can you honestly say that 5 million or more would not have been more wisely spent on people with mortages, people with businesses, the homeless, etc. There are more important priorities than spending money on something like this imo.
    If that project was stopped 2 years ago or so when the recession hit, wouldn't 5 million or more have been alot more relieving to people with mortages, businesses etc? Many people would have been delighted and relieved with some sort of sensible "Help" from the government over the past 2 years than spending money on connecting a canal and a river

And how much money in the current climate are people going to spend "Walking" along the canal or fishing? How many jobs can be created by connecting the canal and the river? Can you honestly say that 5 million or more would not have been more wisely spent on people with mortages, people with businesses, the homeless, etc. There are more important priorities than spending money on something like this imo.
    If that project was stopped 2 years ago or so when the recession hit, wouldn't 5 million or more have been alot more relieving to people with mortages, businesses etc? Many people would have been delighted and relieved with some sort of sensible "Help" from the government over the past 2 years than spending money on connecting a canal and a river

There are more important things to spend money on than people's mortgages and bailing out businesses. What are you not getting here? Why don't you criticise the cost of the Port Tunnel or the Luas instead of trying to whip up some controversy or money actually well used for a pleasant change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

You need to spend money in order to make some. This will be huge for tourism as mentioned above.

€30,000,000 isn't much when the banks can get €50,000,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi.
    This has been explained to you in a clear and concise manner. However, you still seem to be quite angry.

I have a solution. It's not perfect, and you may have to break some laws, but this will work out fine for you.

First off you need some refined uranium.
    You can get this by promising Colonel Gadaffi that you will make a nuke for him. Just pretend that you are working for the Iranian government. Fake passports can be obtained by pretending that you are from Israel.

Then you need a flux capacitor.
    I have a scar on the ring finger of my right hand which resembles a flux capacitor. This may or may not work. I cannot guarantee it.

After this you need a DeLorian.
    The cars are quite rare, but I believe that Mr. John DeLorian is available for public appearances these days.

Now that you have all three items, you can begin your quest.

To begin, what you need to do is hit the M4. There's a nice straight run between Lucan and Maynooth.
    Attach the enriched uranium to my finger while I am holding John DeLorian's hand, Reach 88 mph and we will travel back to October 1982. At this point we will rig the ballot so that FF win and the Labour/FG coalition do not get into power.
    Then we tell Haughey how we made him win and that he should not restore the Royal canal because there will be a recession in 2008.

€30 million saved. Result.

There is one small problem.
    I didn't get this scar until 2008.
    You are going to have to cut my finger off in order to return to 2010, because if I go back in time, my scar will disappear.
    I'm willing to sell it to you for €15 million. That's only half the cost of the canal restoration. It's well worth it.
    PM me for my bank details.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Technically you're both wrong. It was already connected, some 200 years ago, costing over a million british pounds. Dare anyone to work that with modern day inflation. In the last 30 years or so, since the 70s [Mr. Terrance :)] It's been getting kept and restored. According to wikipedia, a site which can make any foreigner sound intelligent about a local landmark, it should now be possible to navigate the full length of the canal [again, since it went first into disrepair decades ago] as of September 30th, 2010. Hence the reason for your thread.

I like that canal, it's one of the nicest features in Dublin. And rich businessmen tourists with boats and **** would pay to run through it.
    Thats not exactly how budgetary appropriations work. Once it was signed off on, thats it usually. Only for on-running programs like healthcare or something would the government install within the appropriations bill to have the funds reviewed on a regular basis.
    It was blocked off during the 1950's, thus my "re-opening" comment.
    Apologies in the form of a donation to "ilovebiology's" quest to pay €15 million for my flux capacitor shaped scar.

There are more important things to spend money on than people's mortgages and bailing out businesses. What are you not getting here? Why don't you criticise the cost of the Port Tunnel or the Luas instead of trying to whip up some controversy or money actually well used for a pleasant change?

What I am saying is there is a world wide recession on, and there are no jobs in Ireland, in England or in many parts of Europe or the rest of the world, and people cannot afford to go on holidays at the moment, and if they do go along the connection of the Royal Canal and the Shannon, how can that generate money for the economy? All they will be doing is mostly walking along it, or fishing, or in a boat.
    Yes the money on the Luas, and the Port Tunnel was a ridiculous waste of money, but so is this in my opinion.

And how much money in the current climate are people going to spend "Walking" along the canal or fishing?

Plently.
    There are B&B's on the route, a boat hire company will start up and pubs and restaurants along the way will prosper.
    The government collects tax on every service or good sold and every PAYE or self employed job created (Well most, lets not get technical on VAT or income tax)

Take a trip along the Shannon some day. Small villages like Garrykennedy, Terryglass, Mountshannon and others do a roaring trade from people on the boats.
    The canal won't be as busy of course but it can be promoted.
    Cycling and fishing holidays will be boosted.
    And jobs are created maintaining the canal.
    If that project was stopped 2 years ago or so when the recession hit, wouldn't 5 million or more

First you quoted 20 million over 2 years and now it's 5 million.
    This was funded over decades, it's lower then this.
    wouldn't 5 million or more have been alot more relieving to people with mortages, businesses etc? Many people would have been delighted and relieved with some sort of sensible "Help" from the government over the past 2 years than spending money on connecting a canal and a river

OP, the social welfare budget in Ireland is something like 22 billion and you started a thread on a few million euro to finish a project.

This project will create jobs.
    Did you overpay on your mortgage? Well my sympathies but spending taxpayers money to bail out mortgages doesn't create jobs

• Advertisement

€30,000,000 isn't much when the banks can get €50,000,000,000.

Well I agree with you there, the banks should not be getting E50 billion whatsoever, many of the bankers should be jailed.

Advertisement