Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce your carbon footprint; or die!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We're going to die anyways.:rolleyes:

galwayrush wrote: »
    We're going to die anyways.:rolleyes:
    Yep! anyway, After peak oil, the feet of consumers will shrink due to lack of energy to burn. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A rather extreme video on carbon reduction. (not for the squeamish!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTLDel-G9k

The climate change debate is getting dirtier.

I dare you to post that on the Sustainability and Environment forum. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Don't have a carbon footprint, I drive my 4x4 everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yep! anyway, After peak oil, the feet of consumers will shrink due to lack of energy to burn. ...

Then we'll fall over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yawn, people need to realise the first step towards anything at all is by reducing demand, and that means population control.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I dare you to post that on the Sustainability and Environment forum. :p

I did think about it. ;) I've already crossed swords with a few in there.

I do believe we (everyone) need to reduce our energy use, as the supply is finate and will be scarce soon, just the whole "carbon" angle is wrong.

[soapbox]
    The supply of oil and other fossil fuels is limited, within the next decade we will see an energy "crunch" when demand outstrips supply!

Nature will force us to reduce anyway.

Governments should tell the truth as to why we really should reduce consumption rather than using the environment as a proxy.

The truth is that we will all become poorer and produce less and pay less taxes as the energy supply reduces, "green energy" will not fill the void.

[/soapbox]

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Who's behind that video campaign? It is the most mean spirited and threatening advert I've ever seen.:eek:

Yawn, people need to realise the first step towards anything at all is by reducing demand, and that means population control.

That is the hidden message in the video... sort of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What I learned from the vid......

Footballers are shite actors.
    No wonder their partners always find out they cheat.

• Advertisement

I do believe we (everyone) need to reduce our energy use, as the supply is finate and will be scarce soon, just the whole "carbon" angle is wrong.

[soapbox]
    The supply of oil and other fossil fuels is limited, within the next decade we will see an energy "crunch" when demand outstrips supply!

Governments should tell the truth as to why we really should reduce consumption rather than using the environment as a proxy.

The truth is that we will all become poorer and produce less and pay less taxes as the energy supply reduces, "green energy" will not fill the void.

[/soapbox]

In the 1980's we were told there was only enough oil left for 40 years, 30 years and a huge amount of consumption we are being told there is only enough oil left for 40 years. The concept that oil and gas are limited and running out is far too vague, and a reduction of demand is ****ing pointless when the numbers for with that same demand are still increasing.

It's all about demand, this is true, but each person cutting off a little bit of demand doesn't mean **** when there are more and more and more people demanding energy.

Three things,
    1) Renewable Energy , the kinds that work, not the bull**** feel good crab that makes morons think we are going to save the world.
    2) Nuclear, yeah the world is scared of it, but guess what...it's gets the ****ing job done.
    3) Population control....parents are great and all, but the world doesn't need all these ****ing kids. Real talk.

In the 1980's we were told there was only enough oil left for 40 years, 30 years and a huge amount of consumption we are being told there is only enough oil left for 40 years. The concept that oil and gas are limited and running out is far too vague, and a reduction of demand is ****ing pointless when the numbers for with that same demand are still increasing.

It's all about demand, this is true, but each person cutting off a little bit of demand doesn't mean **** when there are more and more and more people demanding energy.

Three things,
    1) Renewable Energy , the kinds that work, not the bull**** feel good crab that makes morons think we are going to save the world.
    2) Nuclear, yeah the world is scared of it, but guess what...it's gets the ****ing job done.
    3) Population control....parents are great and all, but the world doesn't need all these ****ing kids. Real talk.

I remember being in school in the early 70's (before the OPEC embargo) talk was about 40 years or so supply left before it runs out, but that was American data for american oilfields, improved technology and discoveries have got us to where we are now. The peak in oil production has passed (2005) followed by a "rocky plateau" of production, we haven't reached the slide yet, but will soon, then it gets interesting.

Natural gas has so far provided a very good cushion to the supply issues, other wise we would have peaked a few years a go and be well on our way down the slide.

I agree with your "three things" list.

Ireland with it's high reliance on oil will have a more "interesting" ride down the slide than many other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

That's why AIDS was invented.

I remember being in school in the early 70's (before the OPEC embargo) talk was about 40 years or so supply left before it runs out, but that was American data for american oilfields, improved technology and discoveries have got us to where we are now. The peak in oil production has passed (2005) followed by a "rocky plateau" of production, we haven't reached the slide yet, but will soon, then it gets interesting.

Natural gas has so far provided a very good cushion to the supply issues, other wise we would have peaked a few years a go and be well on our way down the slide.

I agree with your "three things" list.

Ireland with it's high reliance on oil will have a more "interesting" ride down the slide than many other countries.

Gas makes things interesting. Don't forget that liquidfied natural gas opens up the whole world to those lovely deposits of otherwise unattainable gas in the middle east.

Simple fact is though, in about 150 years time we will all be burning coal, and ireland doesn't really have any of that either.

Back to mother Russia for our fuel then me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I can think of two in particular but I'd better not say anything in case "they're" watching.
    "They" have eyes EVERYWHERE! :eek:

Who's behind that video campaign? It is the most mean spirited and threatening advert I've ever seen.:eek:

A quick dig around, I came up with this:
    Whippersnapping climate campaign 10:10 teams up with legendary comic screenwriter Richard Curtis - you know, Blackadder, Four Weddings, Notting Hill, co-founded Comic Relief - and Age of Stupid director Franny Armstrong to proudly present their explosive new mini-movie "No Pressure". The film stars X-Files' Gillian Anderson, together with Spurs players past and present - including Peter Crouch, Ledley King and David Ginola - with music donated by Radiohead. Shot on 35mm by a 40-strong professional film crew led by director Dougal Wilson, "No Pressure" celebrates everybody who is actively tackling climate change... by blowing up those are aren't.

edit: since been pulled from the source website, http://www.1010global.org/no-pressure
    Sorry.
    Today we put up a mini-movie about 10:10 and climate change called 'No Pressure’.

With climate change becoming increasingly threatening, and decreasingly talked about in the media, we wanted to find a way to bring this critical issue back into the headlines whilst making people laugh. We were therefore delighted when Britain's leading comedy writer, Richard Curtis - writer of Blackadder, Four Weddings, Notting Hill and many others – agreed to write a short film for the 10:10 campaign. Many people found the resulting film extremely funny, but unfortunately some didn't and we sincerely apologise to anybody we have offended.

As a result of these concerns we've taken it off our website. We won't be making any attempt to censor or remove other versions currently in circulation on the internet.

We'd like to thank the 50+ film professionals and 40+ actors and extras and who gave their time and equipment to the film for free. We greatly value your contributions and the tremendous enthusiasm and professionalism you brought to the project.

At 10:10 we're all about trying new and creative ways of getting people to take action on climate change. Unfortunately in this instance we missed the mark. Oh well, we live and learn.

Onwards and upwards,

Franny, Lizzie, Eugenie and the whole 10:10 team

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Carbon footprint = many potentially wonderful and innovative ways to tax/shaft Joe and Jane public for more taxes - hidden or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Global warming me bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

The planet will be fine.
    Hopefully, John Gormley won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fearmongering works I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Or access to alternatives... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

orourkeda wrote: »
    Global warming me bollix

Really? Is it cheaper than oil? ;)

Advertisement