Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bad

Options
  • 01-10-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I have began to notice this term has started to creep into Irish peoples conversation and I have seen it on posts here on boards, what a load of crap. There was a time when we Irish used to come up with our own slang now its every bit of crap american slang. Are we Irish losing our identity will we soon only be recognisable as Europeans or some other sh!te?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seriously? That's what bothers you about Ireland today?

Good Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Archimedes wrote: »
    Seriously? That's what bothers you about Ireland today?

Good Jesus.

ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Sorry man, our bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You should rename the title to "My bad thread".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh, sorry, I stumbled in here because I thought it would be interesting or entertaining.

My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I blame the <topcial ethnic minority of the day>

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This has been done before.

Your bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Meh. There's worse out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Should we say "Mea culpa"?

I prefer "my bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

write me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If Irish people are losing their identity it's not because they'e using American slang words it's because we do nothing to keep our identity alive. For instance,Gaeilge. A lot of Irish people can't speak Irish, except for a few words. I regard that as losing our identity

If you tickle us do we not laugh?

Riddle101 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people can't speak Irish, except for a few words. I regard that as losing our identity

To lose something you have to have had it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My Bad? By Dad!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    My Bad? By Dad!

My goodness! My Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

To lose something you have to have had it in the first place.

If you're thought it when you were a child like English then it can be considered losing it, can't it? But my point was really, that the lack of effort put into learning Irish is more about losing it as a langauge and having it be erased from existence. Something that is part of our identity because it is our language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

astra2000 wrote: »
    will we soon only be recognisable as Europeans or some other sh!te?

Shite from shit from the preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-. The word has several cognates in modern Germanic languages, such as German Scheisse, Dutch schijt, Swedish skit, Icelandic skítur, Norwegian skitt etc

How do you like them European shit apples......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

do you care when people say cool?

cos thats an american word that originated in jazz and most people i know that use it are not american jazz musicians, actually only only 1 of my facebook friends is an american jazz musician but im not sure if its really dave brubeck or just a fanpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

astra2000 wrote: »
    I have began to notice this term has started to creep into Irish peoples conversation and I have seen it on posts here on boards, what a load of crap. There was a time when we Irish used to come up with our own slang now its every bit of crap american slang. Are we Irish losing our identity will we soon only be recognisable as Europeans or some other sh!te?

omg it's so totally rad.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I really can't stand that particular expression. One of the worst. 'rents is pretty awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dude, chillax...........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When bad, some think me good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Bad isn't a noun.

How can it be mine then???!!! Grammar frustrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Back in the day we never said My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikom wrote: »
    Shite from shit from the preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-. The word has several cognates in modern Germanic languages, such as German Scheisse, Dutch schijt, Swedish skit, Icelandic skítur, Norwegian skitt etc

How do you like them European shit apples......

That is some serious informative sh1te!

Riddle101 wrote: »
    If you're thought it when you were a child like English then it can be considered losing it, can't it? But my point was really, that the lack of effort put into learning Irish is more about losing it as a langauge and having it be erased from existence. Something that is part of our identity because it is our language.

I take your point about losing our knowledge of it as a language we were taught at school.

To make it relevant to our current identity, how about introducing more Irish phrases into the way we speak English?

My bad could be "Mo locht!" or something like that - which has an almost Ginsbergian howl-like quality to it.

- Asal O'Coirce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I really can't stand that particular expression. One of the worst. 'rents is pretty awful too.

:confused: what the hell does that mean? i never heard that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tbh almost all of the expressions I use are American or English,I get all of my lingo from TV and Irish television is shyte

Advertisement