Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture; courses and funding

Options
  • 01-10-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advise on seeking funding for studying Acupuncture privately?

Also, I'm aware there is a Certificate course in UCD, but are there other courses running in National Universities?

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 luminosity

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advise on seeking funding for studying Acupuncture privately?

Also, I'm aware there is a Certificate course in UCD, but are there other courses running in National Universities?

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Hi there,
    as far as I'm aware U can only study acupuncture in Private colleges in Ireland. I don't think the course in UCD is running currently, but I may be wrong on that. It is designed for physios and doctors and I think nurses can also apply. It is run by a physio with a really great reputation from a Western Medical perspective. I studied with Dr Vincent Carroll at Lansdown College (in the Mount Herbert Hotel). I loved the course, learnt a lot but like any course it is just the beginning of your learning. Unfortunately there are no internships, and whilst you do lots of practical learning in college, it seems like a gap in the courses. All the private colleges award a diploma. There is currently no government legislation regarding the qualification. There is a self governing body TCMCI, so courses have to last 3 years and meet their criteria of what is included in the course.The board is made up of members from various different colleges in Ireland. Courses vary in price, starting at about 7 grand for the three years. CNM have a brilliant acupuncturist teaching their course. Her name is Deirdre Courtney, she trained in the USA where the standard of acupuncture education is years ahead of Ireland. As far as I am aware she has a masters qualification. You need to be careful if you want to practice in another country after you have qualified, as our qualification is not recognised in some eg USA (although you can take the state exam in some states and practice once passed), France (you have to an MD).
    So hopefully thats of some use to you, or at least food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 charlie2010

Hi Luminosity,

Thanks for that. Are you able to practice with your Dip, out of curiousity? (ie, set up from home, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 luminosity

Hi Luminosity,

Thanks for that. Are you able to practice with your Dip, out of curiousity? (ie, set up from home, etc).

Absolutely yes I can practice. It is a requirement of TCMCI to do continual education in order to remain a member. You need a certain number of points per year. You can legally practice in Ireland without being a member, but health insurance companies will not accept you on their list for patient coverage.
    If you are thinking of a career change, think carefully, there aren't that many full time practicing acupuncturists in Ireland. Things were looking up during the celtic tiger years, but for a lot of people acupuncture is a luxury now. But if you can make a living it is an incredibly rewarding career.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 charlie2010

Thanks Luminosity,

I practice reiki also, and i've been considering learning acupuncture, so might be a worthwhile endeavor.

Cheers for the advice!

Advertisement