Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing clay liner top pot?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 8:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am replacing the top flue as its broken. Its the standard 18 inch long clay liner.
    The whole chimney cap has lifted off on one side and dampness is getting in. The other side seems to be ok. I dont want to disturb it too much so was just going to fill this gap with silicone or something?
    Would that be ok?
    As for the liner the old one,this is in concrete. How do I loosen it? Should I just chip away at the concrete around it until it gives enought then pull it out?
    What about the flange at the bottom? Would this mean it would have to be wider? Could I just break the old one some way, then make the hole bigger?
    Would greatly appreciate any advice help.

Thanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I presume you are talking about the top flue liner as opposed to the chimney pot. I am also presuming that the 'chimney cap' is in fact a pre-cast concrete chimney coping and not a cast in-situ one.

Presuming the above to be the case:

1. Chip away at the base of the chimney pot until it is loosened and remove it.
    2. Chisel the remainder of the mortar fill inside the pre-cast coping ring exposing the broken liner at the top.
    3. Remove the concrete coping for re-bedding later. (This is only being done because you state it is lifting off on one side.)
    4. There is probably a metal flashing at this location which should be removed.
    5. The chimney fill should be dry around the liner at this point and can be taken out easily to the bottom of the broken liner.
    6. Remove the broken liner and replace with a new one. Sealing the socket joint with an intumescent sealer.
    7. Re-fill around the liner with a weak dry mortar mix back up to the level of the metal flashing.
    8. Bed in the flashing again, replace with a new one if damaged.
    9. Bed in the concrete coping.
    10. Seal the chimney pot in place.
    11. Fill the ope in the centre of the coping in place with a strong mortar mix securing the chimney pot in place.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

Thanks a lot Tom,

Do you really think it is necessary to remove the cap? There are 2 flue liners in this chimney. If I go messing too much with the cap it might damage the good flue?

Thanks again,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I can't see the job John, so I can't answer that for you definitively. But you did say..
    The whole chimney cap has lifted off on one side and dampness is getting in.

So, if this is the case I would remove it, It's not a huge job and it makes things easier, you will need a friend with you though...

Advertisement