Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porsche or Audi could join Formula 1 by 2013

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

It sounds like a long time a way but its just over two years time :(. (God I'm getting old). Volkswagen are thinking again about joining the circus and it would either be under the Porsche or Audi banner.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101001/F1/101009999

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Whoooaaa i like the looks of a Porsche vs Ferrari F1 championship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If it happens I can't imagine Porsche leaving Le Mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Porsche will just be a partnership with Williams. Aren't they using the Williams kers in one of their GT cars?
    VW/Audi have been talking about F1 for years but never made any real moves. We will see what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wonder if they return, will they tie-up with McLaren as they had alot of success with the Porsche turbo charged V6 motors in the 80's. I can see it happening.

They were good engines, unlike their V12's that were in the Footworks back in '91. They were so bad that Footwork switched to customer Cosworth DFR's during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Would be cool to see a few more manufacturers back on the grid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Bugatti F1, I think it has a nice ring to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

brownacid wrote: »
    Bugatti F1, I think it has a nice ring to it...

Are they owned by Ferrari?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Are they owned by Ferrari?

VW/Audi.

Volkswagen decided today not to enter according to German news reports. A pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Volkswagen decided today not to enter according to German news reports. A pity really.

That's because they're heading for the WRC in 2012 with the Scirocco :D not 100% confirmed yet but looking highly likely.

• Advertisement

Apparently The talk of Porsche coming back has resurfaced in the last few days again. Most likely with Williams. They would be just rebadged Cosworth engines though according to f1 scoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Porsche doesn't deserve to be mentioned among these failures but their 1991 V12 was really a big disappointment. The then Arrows designer Alan Jenkins most depressing moment came in late 1990 when the Porsche V12 engine was delivered to them. It was very bulky and massively overweight at 180kg. It didn't produce much power either so it failed utterly. The engine had a 80-degree vee-angle and had the power taken at centrally, similarly as used in their 917 flat-12 engines of 1970-71. Arrows did not even persevere for the whole season and the Porsche was unceremoniously dumped mid-season. The team installed Hart-tuned DFR V8 engines instead. Alboreto barely qualified four times while Johansson qualified the Porsche-powered FA12 just once. Caffi never even got the car onto the grid. After the 1991 debacle Porsche never returned to Formula 1.

Advertisement