Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiddles...?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

My son asked me today 'Why can't I tiddle myself under the arm mam?'

And I don't know the answer....and I thought the boardsies might know...keep it clean lads, he's 8:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A kiddy fittle?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

A tickle?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Being tickled is about the anticipation of the incoming tickle. When you do it yourself the brain knows exactly how it is going to happen, no anticipation and no funny time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Because when you do it yourself, you know what to expect... It's not as funny.

Like telling yourself a joke, it's better when you don't know what's going to happen.

Edit: Damn you Mickey Dolenz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Oooooooo...that makes sense!:D

Tickle/tiddle...

So it's not the actual feeling that makes you laugh? It's the fact that you don't know it's gonna be done????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You're not used to someone else's touch so it feels different and more interesting.

Kind of like masturbation, but probably not the right analogy to use in this case...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The simple answer is :

The brain is trained to know what to feel when a person moves or performs any function.Our brain anticipates contact from our hands and prepares itself for it.

lucylu wrote: »
    The simple answer is :

The brain is trained to know what to feel when a person moves or performs any function.Our brain anticipates contact from our hands and prepares itself for it.

Could you dumb that down for the 8yr old please.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Actually, tickling does nothing. It's purely learned behaviour. It feels.. odd, at best, but people laugh because that's just "the done thing." When a parent tickles their child, they laugh, and act like it's all great fun, so the child picks up on it and thinks it's "fun."

There was some experiment where some kids were taught to be tickled the normal way (same way all kids do) and laughed, and the other kids were tickled but there was no reaction from the parents to transfer upon the kids, and thus, the kids just thought it felt weird.

Forget where I learned that so don't ask for a cite, but I'm almost positive about it.

Anyway, the reason he can't tickle himself is because you can only be tickled by someone else, because that's what you're conditioned to do.

(this argument does not apply to the soles of the feet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

it's fun to be EXACT.

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    Actually, tickling does nothing. It's purely learned behaviour. It feels.. odd, at best, but people laugh because that's just "the done thing." When a parent tickles their child, they laugh, and act like it's all great fun, so the child picks up on it and thinks it's "fun."

There was some experiment where some kids were taught to be tickled the normal way (same way all kids do) and laughed, and the other kids were tickled but there was no reaction from the parents to transfer upon the kids, and thus, the kids just thought it felt weird.

Forget where I learned that so don't ask for a cite, but I'm almost positive about it.

Anyway, the reason he can't tickle himself is because you can only be tickled by someone else, because that's what you're conditioned to do.

(this argument does not apply to the soles of the feet)

But as a very young kid, I wouldn't have conditioned him to laugh....I'd have tickled him, and he'd laugh. That experiment doesn't make sense to me.

'In 1897, psychologists G. Stanley Hall and Arthur Allin described a "tickle" as two different types of phenomena.[2] One type caused by very light movement across the skin. This type of tickle, called knismesis, generally does not produce laughter and is sometimes accompanied by an itching sensation.

Another type of tickle is the laughter inducing, "heavy" tickle, produced by repeatedly applying pressure to "ticklish" areas, and is known as gargalesis. Such sensations can be pleasurable or exciting, but are sometimes considered highly unpleasant, particularly in the case of relentless heavy tickling.'

Thanks Robbie.

As above....dumb that down for the 8yr old please......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Fittle wrote: »
    But as a very young kid, I wouldn't have conditioned him to laugh....I'd have tickled him, and he'd laugh. That experiment doesn't make sense to me.

You'd hardly've been tickling him with a frown on your face. When you tickle the kid you're generally smiling or laughing or teasing, and the kid picks up on and plays off that behaviour.

Most kids who were never tickled as kids will never find tickling to be a pleasurable experience.

Conditioning, like Pavlov's dogs.

liah wrote: »
    You'd hardly've been tickling him with a frown on your face. When you tickle the kid you're generally smiling or laughing or teasing, and the kid picks up on and plays off that behaviour.

Most kids who were never tickled as kids will never find tickling to be a pleasurable experience.

Conditioning, like Pavlov's dogs.

Naaahhhh....I think there has to be some physical feeling that makes him laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fittle wrote: »

As above....dumb that down for the 8yr old please......:D

Coz u no wen u r going 2 ticke urself n u cn prepare.

How was that?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement