Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of construction industry in the UK

Options
  • 01-10-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm about to undertake an MSc in structural engineering in Imperial College London. While the course is very good etc., I think that I maybe rushed into my decision to take it due to a huge need to get out of a boring dead end job which was beginning to depress me. I decided to go back to engineering because of the career path(s), the mathematical element and the tangible results of one's work - which had become particularly important to me after over a year of work with nothing to really show for it.

Even before I've begun this master's degree, I'm beginning to think that it may be worthless and I may have to do another one after to refocus my career and give me some real prospects.

I realise that the construction industry in Ireland is on its knees and I may not be able to work here for over 10 years or even more. I'm wondering if the UK is any better. If anyone has any first hand experience I'd be grateful for any insight no matter how brutal.

I'm obviously very concerned about my future but I'm still holding out some hope that I might gain employment this time next year. If that's not a realistic prospect then I need to get started on a contingency plan.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

What do you work at now?

The industry in the UK has started to decline again following a brief bit of growth earlier this year mainly due to government projects.

A major consulting engineering firm (Arup) is planning to make 600 of it's 3800 workface redundant by Christmas so the outlook isn't great to be honest.

Structural/civil engineering is the worst part of the engineering profession to be in at the moment.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Advertisement