Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're not the only ones in hock

Options
  • 01-10-2010 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Britain's debt has grown to a hitherto unimaginable level, it emerged yesterday – smashing the £1trillion barrier for the first time.
    Government borrowing hit £1,000,389,000,000 at the end of March – or £40,000 per household – the Office for National Statistics said.
    The figure is so enormous, equivalent to more than one million million pounds, that the country must pay £40billion interest on it in this year alone – roughly what is spent on the entire defence budget.
    It follows unprecedented levels of spending under Labour which saw the Government borrow nearly £450million a day under Gordon Brown.
    But the £1trillion figure does not include items such as the cost of public sector pensions and private finance initiatives.
    Experts believe the true debt, including these hidden items, is between £4trillion and £5trillion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That there is a Daily Mail article if ever I saw one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

That there is a Daily Mail article if ever I saw one.

Why whatever would make you say that? :rolleyes:

Why whatever would make you say that? :rolleyes:

You really didn't need to search for it.

We have "hitherto unimaginable" figures that "smash the...barrier", the debt is "so enormous" due to "unprecedented levels of spending under Labour"..."Experts" [who they?] believe...etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Experts believe

woo! I got a line! all I need is "Princess Di" and "Political correctness gone mad" for the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Burn him at the stake!

Mmmm... steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What I don't understand is how the banks went broke, we bailed out the banks giving them all our money, yet somehow we owe them 10 times more than ever. We borrowed money from banks to pay back to the banks. It makes no sense.

The banking system as a whole is a complete and utter joke making fools out of everybody and we really are fools for going along with their nonsense. Fixing the banking economy seems utter pointless.

If the comments on the actual article on Rosie's link are correct, this story appears to be completely untrue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

According to an article, we are only(!) eleven thousand something per head in debt!
    The article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316442/Anglo-Irish-Bank-bail-Will-Irish-economic-meltdown-hit-UKs-fragile-recovery.html

So we can sleep well tonight!
    Tomorrow? Thats another story. :(

Advertisement